Lightning blank 'CanesNov 2, 2013 - 4:28 AM
Steven Stamkos extended his point streak to five games with a third period goal. Victor Hedman and Alex Killorn both lit the lamp, while Martin St. Louis tallied two assists. The Lightning continued their dominant play in Raleigh with their eighth win in their past nine visits.
"In the third period, we finally got that two-goal lead, which was nice. They got a few more chances and we were able to end up with a shutout," said Bishop on the win.
Justin Peters allowed three goals on 32 shots in the defeat as Carolina has now lost its fourth straight game.
"No one is going to panic. We accept the losses as far as teams accept it, but we accept the challenge that we have got to get better," said Carolina coach Kirk Mueller.
Hedman opened up the scoring with a creative goal off the end boards nearly 10 minutes into the second. After receiving a pass from Nate Thompson, Hedman rifled a shot that trickled off Peters' pads and the post into the net.
Stamkos added to the lead in the third when he backhanded a rebound past Peters for his 10th of the season.
Bishop made a number of impressive saves, including one late in the third, where the netminder jumped up to knock down a shot from Nathan Gerbe with the heel of his glove, stopping a Carolina surge.
Killorn slipped a pass under the stick of Andrej Sekera over to St. Louis, who quickly returned the puck to Killorn on a nice give-and-go. Killorn lifted the puck over Peters for Tampa's third goal of the night with less than three minutes left in the game.
Bishop earned his fourth career shutout ... The Lightning have won five of their last six meetings against the Hurricanes ... Both teams were scoreless on the power play with Tampa Bay going 0-for-3 and Carolina, 0-for-4.
- TAMPA BAY: 3
Nov 1 9:28 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Alex Killorn, from Martin St. Louis at 17:14.
Lightning 3, Hurricanes 0 3rd - 2:46Nov 1 9:25 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Steven Stamkos (10), from Alex Killorn and Martin St. Louis at 11:38.
Lightning 2, Hurricanes 0 3rd - 8:22Nov 1 9:15 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 1
End of 2nd
Nov 1 8:34 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Victor Hedman (2), from Nate Thompson at 9:54.
Lightning 1, Hurricanes 0 2nd - 10:06Nov 1 8:16 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
End of 1st
Nov 1 7:41 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 1 7:08 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Confident Lightning feel Penguins haven't see their best May 18
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17