Red Wings edge Hurricanes to end seven-game skidNov 22, 2013 - 5:19 AM
Niklas Kronwall and Darren Helm also lit the lamp for the Red Wings, who snapped their longest losing streak in close to 23 years.
It was the first time Detroit suffered through a stretch like that since Jan. 14-30, 1991. Also, the team broke an eight-game home losing streak, which was its longest since Nov. 19-Dec. 20, 1986.
Jonas Gustavsson made 24 saves for Detroit, which won its first game since a 5-0 decision in Edmonton on Nov. 2, and its first home game since a 2-1 win over Columbus back on Oct. 15.
"We needed to win and it was a good win for us," said Detroit head coach Mike Babcock. "We made it closer than we needed to for sure, but I thought the guys stepped it up and the special teams were outstanding."
Andrej Sekera scored twice and Brett Bellemore also lit the lamp for the Hurricanes, who have dropped their past three games. Justin Peters stopped 43 shots in the loss.
"It's a little hard to come back when you're playing a team like this in their building," said Sekera. "Once they got that first one to take the lead, then the second one, we knew we had a big hole to climb out of."
Skating on a two-minute 5-on-3 after penalties to Riley Nash and Tim Gleason, Detroit went ahead on Kronwall's second of the season.
Kronwall had the puck in the slot and fired a shot on net that was stopped. The rebound, though, went out to the right side where it hit off a Hurricane and went in for a 3-2 lead at 8:29 of the third.
The Red Wings gave themselves some insurance with 4:02 to play as a clear by Henrik Zetterberg off the left boards saw Nyquist get behind the defense on a clear break and slip the puck between the pads of Peters for a 4-2 advantage.
The goal proved fortunate, as Sekera scored while shorthanded with 15.9 seconds to play, but Detroit won the next faceoff and was able to get the puck deep, killing off the rest of the clock.
The Red Wings jumped on top just 17 seconds into the game as a turnover in the Carolina end saw Zetterberg pick up the puck. Jonathan Ericsson blasted a shot on net after Zetterberg left the puck in the slot. It was stopped, but the rebound kicked out to the right side where Nyquist buried it for his first of the year.
Gustavsson stopped seven shots in the second period, and Detroit scored early in the second to add to its advantage.
Another turnover in the Carolina zone saw Justin Abdelkader grab the disc and skate around with the puck. He lost it on a shot attempt, but Helm was there to snap it home for his third of the season at 2:37.
Carolina got a goal back three minutes later as Radek Dvorak sent a pass from the low right circle to the slot where Bellemore one-timed it home for his first NHL goal.
The Hurricanes then tied the game with 7:09 to play in the middle stanza as Sekera skated the puck through the middle and made a slick move to get around the defender before wristing the disc home for his third of the season.
Carolina hasn't won a regular-season game in Detroit since Nov. 14, 1989, with Detroit posting 15 wins and a tie during that time. Also, Detroit has a credited home victory in a game played in Cleveland, Ohio in 1994 during that span ... Carolina has lost six straight on the road, and plays in Boston on Saturday ... Detroit hosts Ottawa on Saturday ... Detroit went 1-for-4 on the power play, while Carolina finished 0-for-4.
- CAROLINA: 3
Nov 21 10:01 PM
- CAROLINA: 3
3rd Period - 0:16
Hurricanes 3, Red Wings 4 3rd - 0:16Nov 21 9:59 PM
- Darren Helm backhand shot is wide.
Hurricanes 2, Red Wings 4 3rd - 3:42Nov 21 9:51 PM
- CAROLINA: 2
3rd Period - 4:02
Hurricanes 2, Red Wings 3 3rd - 4:02Nov 21 9:50 PM
- Detroit Goal - Gustav Nyquist, at 15:58.
Hurricanes 2, Red Wings 4 3rd - 4:02Nov 21 9:50 PM
- Detroit Power-Play Goal - Henrik Zetterberg (11), at 8:29.
Hurricanes 2, Red Wings 3 3rd - 11:31Nov 21 9:40 PM
- CAROLINA: 2
End of 2nd
Nov 21 9:07 PM
- Carolina Goal - Andrej Sekera (3), at 12:51.
Hurricanes 2, Red Wings 2 2nd - 7:09Nov 21 8:53 PM
- Carolina Goal - Brett Bellemore, at 5:49.
Hurricanes 1, Red Wings 2 2nd - 14:11Nov 21 8:42 PM
- Detroit Goal - Darren Helm (3), from Justin Abdelkader at 2:37.
Hurricanes 0, Red Wings 2 2nd - 17:23Nov 21 8:38 PM
- CAROLINA: 0
End of 1st
Nov 21 8:16 PM
- Detroit Goal - Gustav Nyquist, from Jonathan Ericsson and Henrik Zetterberg at :17.
Hurricanes 0, Red Wings 1 1st - 19:43Nov 21 7:41 PM
- CAROLINA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 21 7:40 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Canada earns 3rd win at worlds, routs Belarus 8-0 May 9
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 29
- New home of Detroit Red Wings to be Little Caesars Arena Apr 28
- Stamkos skates, but not close to returning for Lightning Apr 27
- Blackhawks, Ducks try to close out series on road Apr 25
- Blackhawks, Ducks try to close out series on road Apr 24
- Red Wings follow refrain, make brief appearance in playoffs Apr 22