Hurricanes hold off DevilsNov 28, 2013 - 4:19 AM
Tuomo Ruutu and Ron Hainsey also lit the lamp in the second, while Justin Faulk opened the scoring in the first with his first of the season for the Hurricanes, who have won two straight on the heels of a four-game slide.
Cam Ward backstopped the victory with 19 saves.
"Despite the low shots, I felt like I was active," Ward said. "It seemed like they had a good cycle game in the offensive zone but our team's defense did a great job of keeping everything out to the perimeter."
Travis Zajac, Andy Greene and Jaromir Jagr each scored once for the Devils, who have dropped their last three games.
"I don't think we have to change much, we just have to put the puck on the net somehow," Jagr said.
Martin Brodeur allowed all four goals on 22 shots in defeat.
With the Devils trailing 2-0 early in the second, Zajac rifled a wrister from the left circle that snuck through Ward's five-hole to make it a one-goal margin at 4:21.
Hainsey answered just under four minutes later when his left-point blast tipped off a New Jersey stick and sailed past the far side of Brodeur for a 3-1 edge at 8:16.
Hainsey went off for hooking at 14:58 to provide the Devils with a power play, but Dwyer intercepted Eric Gelinas' dump-in near the left point and chipped the puck off the boards to himself.
After recovering the disc, Dwyer charged down the right wing and sliced through the circle before sliding the puck through Brodeur's five-hole to make it 4-1 with 4:17 left in the second.
Greene got the Devils within two 8:30 into the third when his heavy slapper from the high slot beat Ward low to the glove side.
With the deficit still at two and under three minutes left, Brodeur left the net and the Devils capitalized on the advantage at 18:13 when Jagr swatted home a rebound from the low right side.
However, New Jersey would get no closer, as Ward stood tall between the pipes down the stretch to keep Carolina in front.
Early on, Faulk found the back of the net 6:44 in when his shot from the right point slipped through a screen and skipped past Brodeur's short side.
Ruutu registered his third of the season 1:50 into the second to extend the margin. Eric Staal made a slick dish from below the goal line to the slot for a cutting Ruutu, who one-timed the disc past Brodeur for a 2-0 lead.
These teams will meet again Friday in Raleigh ... Carolina improved to 4-6-1 on the road this season ... New Jersey dropped to 4-4-2 at home this season ... Jagr registered his 691st goal to break a tie with former Penguins teammate and Hall of Famer Mario Lemieux for ninth place on the NHL's all-time goal list.
- CAROLINA: 4
NEW JERSEY: 3
Nov 27 9:27 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Jaromir Jagr, at 18:13.
Hurricanes 4, Devils 3 3rd - 1:47Nov 27 9:24 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Andy Greene (3), at 8:30.
Hurricanes 4, Devils 2 3rd - 11:30Nov 27 9:06 PM
- CAROLINA: 4
NEW JERSEY: 1
End of 2nd
Nov 27 8:35 PM
- Carolina Short-Handed Goal - Patrick Dwyer (4), at 15:43.
Hurricanes 4, Devils 1 2nd - 4:17Nov 27 8:30 PM
- Carolina Goal - Ron Hainsey (3), at 8:16.
Hurricanes 3, Devils 1 2nd - 11:44Nov 27 8:17 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Travis Zajac (4), from Dainius Zubrus and Andy Greene at 4:21.
Hurricanes 2, Devils 1 2nd - 15:39Nov 27 8:08 PM
- Carolina Goal - Tuomo Ruutu (3), from Eric Staal and Andrej Sekera at 1:50.
Hurricanes 2, Devils 0 2nd - 18:10Nov 27 8:06 PM
- CAROLINA: 1
NEW JERSEY: 0
End of 1st
Nov 27 7:45 PM
- Carolina Goal - Justin Faulk, at 6:44.
Hurricanes 1, Devils 0 1st - 13:16Nov 27 7:21 PM
- Jeff Skinner wrist shot on Martin Brodeur.
Hurricanes 0, Devils 0 1st - 17:00Nov 27 7:13 PM
- Carolina Goal - Jeff Skinner, at 3:00.
Hurricanes 1, Devils 0 1st - 17:00Nov 27 7:13 PM
- CAROLINA: 0
NEW JERSEY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 27 7:08 PM
- US beats Czechs at worlds to set up semifinal with May 19
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Devils' Patrik Elias, Cory Schneider both undergo surgery May 12
- Canada earns 3rd win at worlds, routs Belarus 8-0 May 9
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Hurricanes, Nordstrom agree to 2-year, $2.55M extension Apr 22
- Goalie Cam Ward says he wants to return to Hurricanes Apr 12
- Devils make progress under Hynes, still miss playoffs Apr 11
- Devils' Elias reconsidering future after good final week Apr 10
- Hurricanes confident rebuilding plan is on the right track Apr 10
- Panthers score 3 early goals, beat Hurricanes 5-2 Apr 9