Four-goal third lifts Devils past HurricanesNov 30, 2013 - 3:04 AM
New Jersey trailed 2-1 after two periods, but Andrei Loktionov tied the game with his second of the season at 8:43 of the final frame before Henrique and Dainius Zubrus lit the lamp 1:50 apart to build a 4-2 lead with 6:08 to play.
Jaromir Jagr capped the flurry with his 692nd career goal, moving him into a tie with Steve Yzerman for eighth place on the NHL's all-time goals list.
Mark Fayne added his first of the season, while Cory Schneider stopped 16 shots to help the Devils snap a three-game slide that included a 4-3 home loss to the Hurricanes on Wednesday.
"I liked our game right from the drop of the puck tonight," New Jersey head coach Peter DeBoer said. "I thought we had good energy, good legs. We created a lot of things."
Jeff Skinner and Jordan Staal each scored once for Carolina, which had its two-game win streak snapped. Cam Ward allowed all five goals on 31 shots in defeat.
"We couldn't close the game out as a team and we have to be able to do that having a lead going into the third," Skinner said.
Fayne found the back of the net with 1:40 left in the first to get New Jersey on the board, but Skinner and Stall scored under five minutes apart early in the second to put Carolina on top.
Skinner lit the lamp 1:53 into the middle frame when a blocked shot in the slot bounced to the low left circle, where Skinner buried it to tie the game.
With the teams skating 4-on-4 shortly after, Justin Faulk made a perfect stretch pass from his own zone to spring Staal on a breakaway. From between the circles, Staal beat Schneider glove-side to make it 2-1 at 6:34.
The final frame belonged to the Devils, though, as Loktionov brought the team even at 8:43 when his shot from the high slot snuck through Ward's five-hole and trickled across the goal line to tie the game.
With the Devils on a power play under four minutes later, Henrique swatted in a rebound from in front off a blocked shot to make it 3-2 at 12:02.
Zubrus tipped in Jon Merrill's blast from the high slot at 13:52 to give New Jersey a 4-2 lead before Jagr potted his 11th of the season at 16:31 to account for the final margin.
Jagr also added two assists ... New Jersey went 1-for-3 on the power play, while Carolina went 0-for-3 on the man advantage ... Merrill recorded his first NHL point.
- NEW JERSEY: 5
Nov 29 9:31 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Jaromir Jagr (11), at 16:31.
Devils 5, Hurricanes 2 3rd - 3:29Nov 29 9:24 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Dainius Zubrus (4), at 13:52.
Devils 4, Hurricanes 2 3rd - 6:08Nov 29 9:18 PM
- New Jersey Power-Play Goal - Adam Henrique (6), from Eric Gelinas and Andy Greene at 12:02.
Devils 3, Hurricanes 2 3rd - 7:58Nov 29 9:16 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Andrei Loktionov (2), from Damien Brunner at 8:43.
Devils 2, Hurricanes 2 3rd - 11:17Nov 29 9:10 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 1
End of 2nd
Nov 29 8:36 PM
- Carolina Goal - Jordan Staal (4), at 6:34.
Devils 1, Hurricanes 2 2nd - 13:26Nov 29 8:12 PM
- Ryan Murphy wrist shot on Cory Schneider.
Devils 1, Hurricanes 1 2nd - 17:59Nov 29 8:05 PM
- Shot blocked by Steve Bernier.
Devils 1, Hurricanes 0 2nd - 18:09Nov 29 8:04 PM
- Carolina Goal - Jeff Skinner (4), at 1:53.
Devils 1, Hurricanes 1 2nd - 18:07Nov 29 8:04 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 1
End of 1st
Nov 29 7:43 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Mark Fayne, at 18:20.
Devils 1, Hurricanes 0 1st - 1:40Nov 29 7:40 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 29 7:08 PM
- US beats Czechs at worlds to set up semifinal with May 19
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Devils' Patrik Elias, Cory Schneider both undergo surgery May 12
- Canada earns 3rd win at worlds, routs Belarus 8-0 May 9
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Hurricanes, Nordstrom agree to 2-year, $2.55M extension Apr 22
- Goalie Cam Ward says he wants to return to Hurricanes Apr 12
- Devils make progress under Hynes, still miss playoffs Apr 11
- Devils' Elias reconsidering future after good final week Apr 10
- Hurricanes confident rebuilding plan is on the right track Apr 10
- Panthers score 3 early goals, beat Hurricanes 5-2 Apr 9