Oilers regroup to down Hurricanes in OTDec 11, 2013 - 7:09 AM
The Oilers coughed up a 4-1 lead over a period and a half, with Jeff Skinner's goal late in the third tying it for Carolina.
But Hurricanes defenseman Justin Faulk was sent off 19 seconds into overtime, penalized for boarding after hitting Ryan Nugent-Hopkins from behind in the corner to give the Oilers a 4-on-3.
Eberle scored on a second-chance shot through the legs of Carolina defenseman Andrej Sekera, who was covering the net on the left side for Cam Ward.
Taylor Hall, Nail Yakupov, Jesse Joensuu and Nugent-Hopkins also scored for the Oilers, who moved to 2-1-1 on a five-game homestand. Devan Dubnyk made 24 saves for the win.
"It was a weird game but we found a way to win," Eberle said.
Tuomo Ruutu, Jordan Staal and Eric Staal also scored for the Hurricanes, who lost their second straight to start a four-game road trip but at least came away with a point after giving up four goals in the first 21:40 of the game.
"We showed some good jump battling back into the game," said Eric Staal. "Unfortunately, we had to kill a lot of penalties."
Ward gave up five goals on 29 shots and Carolina fell to 2-10-2 when trailing after two periods.
Eric Staal faked a slap shot on the left side to pull Dubnyk out of the net, then skated around him to score, pulling the Hurricanes within a goal 7:47 into the third period.
Skinner's tying goal came on a turnaround slap shot from the high right side that beat Dubnyk on the far side with 5:14 left in regulation.
The Oilers controlled play early and Hall scored 93 seconds into the game. Ruutu tied it less than three minutes later on Carolina's only power play, but Yakupov and Nugent-Hopkins pushed the Edmonton lead to 3-1 before the period was over.
Joensuu's goal from the slot 1:40 into the second period off a feed from Mark Arcobello behind the net staked the Oilers to their three-goal lead. Jordan Staal scored midway through period.
Edmonton is 7-1-0 when leading after two periods ... The Hurricanes continue their road trip Thursday in Calgary ... The Oilers finish their homestand against Boston on Thursday.
- CAROLINA: 4
Final - OT
Dec 11 12:13 AM
- Edmonton Power-Play Goal - Jordan Eberle (11), from Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Sam Gagner at 1:48.
Hurricanes 4, Oilers 5 OT - 3:12Dec 11 12:13 AM
- CAROLINA: 4
End of Regulation
Dec 11 12:07 AM
- Carolina Goal - Jeff Skinner (10), at 14:46.
Hurricanes 4, Oilers 4 3rd - 5:14Dec 11 12:01 AM
- Carolina Short-Handed Goal - Eric Staal (8), at 7:47.
Hurricanes 3, Oilers 4 3rd - 12:13Dec 10 11:46 PM
- CAROLINA: 2
End of 2nd
Dec 10 11:12 PM
- Carolina Goal - Jordan Staal (7), at 9:37.
Hurricanes 2, Oilers 4 2nd - 10:23Dec 10 10:53 PM
- CAROLINA: 1
2nd Period - 10:23
Hurricanes 1, Oilers 4 2nd - 10:23Dec 10 10:52 PM
- Carolina Goal - Jordan Staal, at 9:37.
Hurricanes 2, Oilers 4 2nd - 10:23Dec 10 10:52 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Jesse Joensuu (2), from Mark Arcobello at 1:40.
Hurricanes 1, Oilers 4 2nd - 18:20Dec 10 10:37 PM
- CAROLINA: 1
End of 1st
Dec 10 10:17 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (7), from Jordan Eberle and Andrew Ference at 18:14.
Hurricanes 1, Oilers 3 1st - 1:46Dec 10 10:16 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Nail Yakupov, at 11:04.
Hurricanes 1, Oilers 2 1st - 8:56Dec 10 10:00 PM
- Ron Hainsey slap shot on Devan Dubnyk.
Hurricanes 1, Oilers 1 1st - 13:28Dec 10 9:51 PM
- Tuomo Ruutu tip-in shot on Devan Dubnyk.
Hurricanes 0, Oilers 1 1st - 13:43Dec 10 9:50 PM
- Carolina Goal - Tuomo Ruutu, at 6:19.
Hurricanes 1, Oilers 1 1st - 13:41Dec 10 9:50 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Taylor Hall, at 1:33.
Hurricanes 0, Oilers 1 1st - 18:27Dec 10 9:41 PM
- CAROLINA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 10 9:38 PM
- Cup final awaits either playoff-starved Blues or Sharks May 14
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Blackhawks agree to 3-year deal with D Gustav Forsling May 11
- Canada earns 3rd win at worlds, routs Belarus 8-0 May 9
- NHL, Oilers, Flames each donating $100,000 to Fort McMurray May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hurricanes, Nordstrom agree to 2-year, $2.55M extension Apr 22
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13
- Goalie Cam Ward says he wants to return to Hurricanes Apr 12