Strong third period lifts Hurricanes over CoyotesDec 15, 2013 - 5:23 AM
Nathan Gerbe also scored and Eric Staal added a goal and a pair of assists for the Hurricanes, who had dropped three straight entering the contest. Justin Peters made 37 saves in the triumph.
Paul Bissonnette notched his first goal of the season for the Coyotes, who had won two straight. Mike Smith allowed two goals on 32 shots.
Phoenix opened up the scoring 6:14 in when Bissonnette tipped in a Connor Murphy shot from the slot.
Gerbe tied the game at 8:50 of the middle session. Gerbe skated in along the left boards, cut back to the middle and then beat Smith with a wrister.
Skinner potted the game-winner three minutes into the final session. After Staal one the faceoff, he dropped the disc back to Skinner, who skated through the circle and blasted a wrist shot into the back of the net.
"It was lying at Eric's feet and I just tried to pull it out and put it on net and it found its way in," said Skinner. "When you're getting chances, that's the way it goes sometimes. We're creating chances as a line and I've been lucky to capitalize on a few."
Staal added an empty-netter with six seconds remaining to account for the final difference.
"Every play counts and it came down to one faceoff and one loose puck that we lost and it ends up that's the one that's the difference in the game," Phoenix coach Dave Tippett said. "We had some good chances, some chances to capitalize in the third and we didn't do it."
Carolina was 0-for-4 on the power play and Phoenix finished 0-for-3 on power play chances ... The Hurricanes will host the Washington Capitals on Friday ... Phoenix opens a four-game road trip in Montreal on Tuesday.
- CAROLINA: 3
Dec 14 10:45 PM
- Antoine Vermette shot blocked by Andrej Sekera.
Hurricanes 2, Coyotes 1 3rd - 0:15Dec 14 10:39 PM
- Carolina Empty Net Goal - Eric Staal, from Jordan Staal at 19:53.
Hurricanes 3, Coyotes 1 3rd - 0:07Dec 14 10:39 PM
- Carolina Goal - Jeff Skinner (12), at 3:00.
Hurricanes 2, Coyotes 1 3rd - 17:00Dec 14 10:07 PM
- CAROLINA: 1
End of 2nd
Dec 14 9:45 PM
- Carolina Goal - Nathan Gerbe (7), from Eric Staal and Tim Gleason at 8:50.
Hurricanes 1, Coyotes 1 2nd - 11:10Dec 14 9:24 PM
- CAROLINA: 0
End of 1st
Dec 14 8:48 PM
- Ron Hainsey snap shot on Mike Smith.
Hurricanes 0, Coyotes 1 1st - 13:12Dec 14 8:24 PM
- Paul Bissonnette snap shot on Justin Peters.
Hurricanes 0, Coyotes 0 1st - 13:51Dec 14 8:23 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Paul Bissonnette, from Connor Murphy and Jeff Halpern at 6:14.
Hurricanes 0, Coyotes 1 1st - 13:46Dec 14 8:19 PM
- CAROLINA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 14 8:11 PM
- Coyotes, Tucson make it official: Moving AHL team to city May 19
- Tucson city council approves deal for Coyotes AHL affiliate May 17
- AHL board approves sale, relocation of Coyotes' affililate May 10
- Canada earns 3rd win at worlds, routs Belarus 8-0 May 9
- Arizona's Chayka becomes youngest GM in NHL history May 5
- AP Source: Coyotes to promote 26-year-old Chayka to GM May 4
- Hurricanes, Nordstrom agree to 2-year, $2.55M extension Apr 22
- Hockey sticks no longer one size fits all Apr 21
- Phoenix mayor wants shared arena for Suns, Coyotes Apr 19
- Coyotes to buy Springfield Falcons, move AHL club to Tucson Apr 19
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13
- Goalie Cam Ward says he wants to return to Hurricanes Apr 12