Kessel guides Leafs past HurricanesDec 30, 2013 - 6:26 AM
Nikolai Kulemin, Paul Ranger and Dion Phaneuf also lit the lamp for Toronto, which won its second straight tilt. The Leafs had split four consecutive shootouts prior to Sunday's win in regulation.
Jonathan Bernier saw a lot of action, turning away 41-of-43 shots to earn the win.
"I had a good practice yesterday," said Bernier. "Coming back after three days I felt like I was ready to see some shots and get back in the groove. I felt pretty good."
Nathan Gerbe and Justin Faulk scored for the Hurricanes, and Cam Ward surrendered four goals on 26 shots to absorb the loss.
Kessel had the lone goal of the first period when he flipped a backhand from behind the net off of Ward's pad and into the back of the net.
"We know they are a deep team, especially off the rush they are fast," said Gerbe. "They make good plays so it was something we wanted to avoid."
Gerbe tied the score at a goal apiece 1:36 into the second period on a nifty feed from Alexander Semin.
Kessel scored again at 13:42 after receiving a pass from James van Riemsdyk on a 2-on-1 rush. A minute later, Kulemin made it 3-1 in favor of Toronto with a blast from above the left circle.
Faulk got one back to make it 3-2 late in the second. Carolina went on a 4- on-3 power-play and Andrej Sekera ripped a shot from the left side that deflected off Faulk and past Bernier.
Ranger's tally 4:58 into the third provided some insurance for Bernier, who stopped all 15 shots he faced in the final period to put the game away. Phaneuf scored an empty-netter with 7.1 seconds remaining for the final margin.
The Hurricanes won the first meeting on Oct. 17, 3-2, in Toronto ... The Leafs head on the road to face the Red Wings on New Years Day ... Carolina has lost five in a row and eight of nine.
- CAROLINA: 2
Dec 29 9:47 PM
- Toronto Goal - Dion Phaneuf, at 19:52.
Hurricanes 2, Maple Leafs 5 3rd - 0:08Dec 29 9:42 PM
- Toronto Goal - Paul Ranger (2), from Tyler Bozak at 4:57.
Hurricanes 2, Maple Leafs 4 3rd - 15:03Dec 29 9:15 PM
- CAROLINA: 2
End of 2nd
Dec 29 8:50 PM
- Carolina Power-Play Goal - Justin Faulk (3), from Andrej Sekera at 17:43.
Hurricanes 2, Maple Leafs 3 2nd - 2:17Dec 29 8:46 PM
- Toronto Goal - Nikolai Kulemin (5), at 14:58.
Hurricanes 1, Maple Leafs 3 2nd - 5:02Dec 29 8:36 PM
- Toronto Goal - Phil Kessel (20), at 13:42.
Hurricanes 1, Maple Leafs 2 2nd - 6:18Dec 29 8:34 PM
- Carolina Goal - Nathan Gerbe, at 1:36.
Hurricanes 1, Maple Leafs 1 2nd - 18:24Dec 29 8:14 PM
- CAROLINA: 0
End of 1st
Dec 29 7:50 PM
- Toronto Goal - Phil Kessel, at 16:56.
Hurricanes 0, Maple Leafs 1 1st - 3:04Dec 29 7:40 PM
- CAROLINA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 29 7:06 PM
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- Canada earns 3rd win at worlds, routs Belarus 8-0 May 9
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hurricanes, Nordstrom agree to 2-year, $2.55M extension Apr 22
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Maple Leafs sign Kadri, Rielly to 6-year deals Apr 13
- Goalie Cam Ward says he wants to return to Hurricanes Apr 12
- Capitals finally able to turn attention to playoffs Apr 11
- Hurricanes confident rebuilding plan is on the right track Apr 10