Carolina edges Montreal in OTJan 1, 2014 - 7:16 AM
Carolina trailed 3-0 entering the third, but scored four straight goals to take the lead before Montreal tied the game halfway through the frame.
The Hurricanes had to survive a double-minor to Eric Staal with 3:29 to play in regulation, but killed it off.
On the winning goal, Ron Hainsey fired a slap-pass from the right point to the left circle where Semin gathered the puck on the backhand, then turned around and fired a shot on net that beat Carey Price for the win.
"I'm sure that was a fun game for the fans but we don't want to do that too often," said Staal. "We made a bunch of mistakes early, but we were able to rally and this is a big win for us."
Jeff Skinner had two goals and an assist, Staal finished with a goal and two assists, with Manny Malhotra also scoring for the Hurricanes, who snapped a five-game losing streak. Cam Ward stopped 21 shots.
Max Pacioretty scored twice while P.K. Subban and Lars Eller also scored for the Canadiens, who have lost their last two. Price was tagged for all five goals on 42 shots.
Trailing by three goals to start the third, Carolina scored a 5-on-3 just 1:38 in on a Skinner turn-around shot from the left circle, and it was a 3-2 game just 37 seconds later as Skinner again found the net on a wrister from the right circle.
"The penalties caught up with us because they got some power play goals and it gave them life," said Eller.
The Canes then tied the game at 4:07 as Skinner had the puck behind the net and centered it for Staal, who tapped it in for his 10th of the year, and the team took a 4-3 lead four minutes later as Malhotra one-timed a pass in front for his second of the year.
Montreal, though, tied the game at 10:16 on a Subban one-timer from the high slot while on the power play.
It took just 80 seconds for Montreal to get on the board as Alex Galchenyuk out-worked the Carolina defense behind the net and centered the puck for Eller, who snuck in a backhand for his ninth of the year.
Montreal then took a 2-0 lead at 7:46 of the first while on the power play. Andrei Markov sent a pass from the left point to the right circle for David Desharnais, who one-touched a pass to the front where Pacioretty tipped it in.
The Canadiens scored the only goal of the second period as Subban sent a pass from the low left side to the front where Pacioretty one-timed it in for his 17th of the season at 14:24.
Montreal plays in Dallas on Thursday ... Carolina plays at Washington on Thursday ... Montreal won all three games against Carolina last season ... Montreal was 2-for-6 on the power play while Carolina was 2-for-10.
- MONTREAL: 4
Final - OT
Dec 31 9:55 PM
- Carolina Goal - Alexander Semin (5), from Ron Hainsey and Eric Staal at 3:27.
Canadiens 4, Hurricanes 5 OT - 1:33Dec 31 9:55 PM
- MONTREAL: 4
End of Regulation
Dec 31 9:47 PM
- Montreal Power-Play Goal - P.K. Subban (6), from Andrei Markov at 10:16.
Canadiens 4, Hurricanes 4 3rd - 9:44Dec 31 9:27 PM
- Carolina Goal - Manny Malhotra (2), from Zach Boychuk at 8:16.
Canadiens 3, Hurricanes 4 3rd - 11:44Dec 31 9:24 PM
- Carolina Goal - Eric Staal (10), from Jeff Skinner at 4:07.
Canadiens 3, Hurricanes 3 3rd - 15:53Dec 31 9:14 PM
- Carolina Power-Play Goal - Jeff Skinner (16), at 2:15.
Canadiens 3, Hurricanes 2 3rd - 17:45Dec 31 9:11 PM
- Carolina Goal - Jeff Skinner, at 1:38.
Canadiens 3, Hurricanes 1 3rd - 18:22Dec 31 9:08 PM
- MONTREAL: 3
End of 2nd
Dec 31 8:47 PM
- Montreal Goal - Max Pacioretty (17), from P.K. Subban and David Desharnais at 14:24.
Canadiens 3, Hurricanes 0 2nd - 5:36Dec 31 8:35 PM
- MONTREAL: 2
End of 1st
Dec 31 7:47 PM
- Montreal Power-Play Goal - David Desharnais (5), at 7:46.
Canadiens 2, Hurricanes 0 1st - 12:14Dec 31 7:24 PM
- Montreal Goal - Lars Eller (9), at 1:20.
Canadiens 1, Hurricanes 0 1st - 18:40Dec 31 7:10 PM
- MONTREAL: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 31 7:08 PM
- US quarterfinal spot in doubt at worlds after Germany defeat May 15
- Canada earns 3rd win at worlds, routs Belarus 8-0 May 9
- Canadiens sign forward Artturi Lehkonen to 3-year contract May 8
- Hurricanes, Nordstrom agree to 2-year, $2.55M extension Apr 22
- Former Canadiens coach Jacques Demers improving after stroke Apr 15
- Fighting the bear: John Scott demonstrates a hockey fight Apr 14
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13
- Goalie Cam Ward says he wants to return to Hurricanes Apr 12
- Capitals are not running from Stanley Cup expectations Apr 12
- Hurricanes confident rebuilding plan is on the right track Apr 10
- Galchenyuk, Pacioretty score twice; Canadiens beat Lightning Apr 10
- Panthers score 3 early goals, beat Hurricanes 5-2 Apr 9