Staal, Hurricanes handle Maple LeafsJan 10, 2014 - 5:33 AM
Elias Lindholm had a goal and two assists, Zach Boychuk and Jeff Skinner each had a goal and an assist, while John-Michael Liles and Patrick Dwyer each had a goal for the Hurricanes, who are in the midst of a season-high five-game winning streak. Anton Khudobin made 25 saves in the victory.
"Everyone played really well tonight," said Staal. "We're getting some great saves from the goalies when we need them, and we're sticking with our game and pucks are going in."
Joffrey Lupul had the lone goal of the game for the Maple Leafs, who have dropped three straight. James Reimer allowed all six goals on 36 shots in the loss.
"This wasn't the game we wanted to play tonight," said Reimer. "I wanted to hang in there and keep it as close as I could, but they got one early in the second and then another one in the third, that was tough."
Carolina got on the board at 2:33 of the first period, as Brett Sutter's turnaround shot from the right circle hit off a body, but the puck came out to the slot and Boychuk wristed it home for his first of the year.
It was a 2-0 game six minutes later as the Hurricanes scored on the power play when Staal threw a one-timer on net from the left circle that was stopped, but the rebound came out to the right and Skinner slammed it in.
Toronto got one back at 14:14 of the first as Mason Raymond faked going around the net and sent a quick pass out front where Lupul one-timed it home for his 14th of the season.
Carolina, though, got it back at 17:33 as Dwyer wristed the puck past Reimer during a scrum in front for a 3-1 advantage.
The only goal of the second period went to the Hurricanes. On a 3-on-1 break, Boychuk sent a pass from the left wing to the right where Liles one-timed it home for his first of the season at 3:39.
Any thoughts of a comeback for Toronto was killed just 25 seconds into the third, as Staal beat Reimer with a wrister from the right circle on a 2-on-1 break while shorthanded.
Lindholm scored a power-play goal with 1:09 to play to account for the final score.
Earlier on Thursday, it was announced that Carolina will play its postponed game with Buffalo on Feb. 25. Hazardous weather conditions forced a cancellation of Tuesday's game ... Carolina plays at Columbus on Friday ... Toronto plays in Washington on Friday ... Carolina has taken two of the three games with Toronto this season ... The Hurricanes were 2-for-5 on the power play, while Toronto went 0-for-2.
- TORONTO: 1
Jan 9 9:36 PM
- Carolina Power-Play Goal - Elias Lindholm (4), from John-Michael Liles and Alexander Semin at 18:51.
Maple Leafs 1, Hurricanes 6 3rd - 1:09Jan 9 9:34 PM
- Carolina Goal - Jordan Staal, at :25.
Maple Leafs 1, Hurricanes 5 3rd - 19:35Jan 9 8:59 PM
- TORONTO: 1
End of 2nd
Jan 9 8:41 PM
- Carolina Goal - John-Michael Liles, at 3:39.
Maple Leafs 1, Hurricanes 4 2nd - 16:21Jan 9 8:09 PM
- TORONTO: 1
End of 1st
Jan 9 7:46 PM
- Carolina Goal - Patrick Dwyer (5), at 17:33.
Maple Leafs 1, Hurricanes 3 1st - 2:27Jan 9 7:42 PM
- Toronto Goal - Joffrey Lupul (14), from Mason Raymond and Nazem Kadri at 14:14.
Maple Leafs 1, Hurricanes 2 1st - 5:46Jan 9 7:37 PM
- Carolina Goal - Elias Lindholm, at 8:33.
Maple Leafs 0, Hurricanes 2 1st - 11:27Jan 9 7:23 PM
- Carolina Goal - Zach Boychuk, at 2:33.
Maple Leafs 0, Hurricanes 1 1st - 17:27Jan 9 7:13 PM
- TORONTO: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 9 7:08 PM
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- Canada earns 3rd win at worlds, routs Belarus 8-0 May 9
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hurricanes, Nordstrom agree to 2-year, $2.55M extension Apr 22
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Maple Leafs sign Kadri, Rielly to 6-year deals Apr 13
- Goalie Cam Ward says he wants to return to Hurricanes Apr 12
- Capitals finally able to turn attention to playoffs Apr 11
- Hurricanes confident rebuilding plan is on the right track Apr 10