Semin leads Hurricanes past PanthersJan 19, 2014 - 6:21 AM Raleigh, NC (SportsNetwork.com) - Alexander Semin scored twice in the third period to guide the Carolina Hurricanes to a 3-2 win over the Florida Panthers.
Riley Nash had the other tally for Carolina, while Anton Khudobin made 37 saves. The Hurricanes snapped a two-game skid in which they were blanked by Columbus and Calgary.
"He was sharp again today and made the game look easy," Hurricanes coach Kirk Muller said of Khudobin. "He made some really huge saves."
Marcel Goc and Dmitry Kulikov had the goals for the Panthers, who have lost back-to-back contests. Tim Thomas made 36 stops.
"We made mistakes that were preventable," Thomas said. "That's what's frustrating to me right now."
Semin scored off an offensive zone faceoff 2:31 into the third to give the Hurricanes a 2-1 lead. Eric Staal won the draw and Semin's shot from the left circle went into the upper right corner of the net.
It became 3-1 at 8:57 on a short-handed tally. Nathan Gerbe was in the penalty box for high-sticking, but Staal's outlet pass put Semin on a breakaway. Semin went to the forehand to squeeze the puck by Thomas.
Kulikov scored with 5:39 left in regulation on a blast from well above the left circle.
Florida pulled Thomas in the final minute, but couldn't generate a decent scoring chance.
Nash notched his fifth goal of the season 3:37 into the second period on a rebound, but Goc put in the equalizer at 15:05 from in front off a pass from Jonathan Huberdeau.
Carolina leads the NHL with nine short-handed goals ... Since moving into PNC Arena at the start of the 1999-00 season, Carolina owns a 29-7-4 home record against Florida ... Florida was 0-for-5 on the power play, while Carolina was 0-for-2.
- FLORIDA: 2
Jan 18 9:42 PM
- Florida Goal - Dmitry Kulikov (3), at 14:21.
Panthers 2, Hurricanes 3 3rd - 5:39Jan 18 9:29 PM
- Carolina Short-Handed Goal - Alexander Semin (8), at 8:57.
Panthers 1, Hurricanes 3 3rd - 11:03Jan 18 9:18 PM
- Alexander Semin wrist shot on Tim Thomas.
Panthers 1, Hurricanes 2 3rd - 11:03Jan 18 9:18 PM
- Carolina Short-Handed Goal - Alexander Semin (8), from Eric Staal at 8:57.
Panthers 1, Hurricanes 3 3rd - 11:03Jan 18 9:17 PM
- Carolina Goal - Alexander Semin (7), at 2:31.
Panthers 1, Hurricanes 2 3rd - 17:29Jan 18 9:01 PM
- FLORIDA: 1
End of 2nd
Jan 18 8:42 PM
- Florida Goal - Marcel Goc (9), from Jonathan Huberdeau and Tomas Kopecky at 15:05.
Panthers 1, Hurricanes 1 2nd - 4:55Jan 18 8:30 PM
- Carolina Goal - Riley Nash (5), at 3:37.
Panthers 0, Hurricanes 1 2nd - 16:23Jan 18 8:09 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
End of 1st
Jan 18 7:46 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 18 7:08 PM
- Panthers make Tallon president, Rowe GM May 16
- Florida Panthers, Erik Gudbranson agree on 1-year deal May 9
- Canada earns 3rd win at worlds, routs Belarus 8-0 May 9
- Trotz, Ruff, Gallant are Jack Adams Award finalists May 5
- Jaromir Jagr returning to Florida Panthers on 1-year deal May 5
- Calgary fires Bob Hartley, a season after coach of the year May 3
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Panthers indicate that Mitchell's career likely over Apr 26
- Panthers came far in 2015-16, now eyeing the future Apr 25
- Islanders advance to second round for first time since 1993 Apr 25
- Islanders beat Panthers 2-1 in 2OTs to end playoff drought Apr 25