Barberio lifts Lightning over HurricanesJan 20, 2014 - 4:54 AM
Ondrej Palat had a goal and two assists while Teddy Purcell and Nikita Kucherov also scored for the Lightning, who had lost four of six coming in. Ben Bishop stopped a career-high 48 shots in the win.
"I'm sure they were frustrated, but that's what you're supposed to do," Bishop said of stopping a career-high in shots.
Eric Staal had a goal and an assist, with Alexander Semin and Ron Hainsey also scoring for the Hurricanes, who have lost three of four.
"It was a tough night," said Staal. "We did what we wanted to do and threw a lot of shots at the net, but they were able to capitalize on their chances. We didn't sulk and cry and fought back into it, but it wasn't enough."
Justin Peters was yanked from the start in the first period after giving up three goals on just seven shots. Anton Khudobin finished the game in net and made 15 stops.
Tampa drew first blood at 6:09 on the power play when Alex Killorn sent a short pass from the right side to the left with Barberio sneaking in the shot for his first NHL goal.
It was 2-0 for the Lightning just 1:23 later as Martin St. Louis sent a pass from the left wing to the slot where Palat one-timed it home on a rush play.
Tampa took a 3-0 lead at 15:07 of the first when Tom Pyatt's pass from behind the net slid to the front with Kucherov snapping it in for his eighth of the year.
The Lightning scored their fourth goal of the game just 24 seconds into the second period as a scramble in front of the net saw Purcell get the puck in for his 10th of the year.
Carolina finally got on the board at 1:46 of the second while on the power play as Semin went end-to-end and was able to sneak in a soft shot from the left circle.
Just under four minutes later, the Hurricanes made it a two-goal game as Staal stripped the puck from Jean-Philippe Cote in the neutral zone, and from the right circle was able to beat Bishop with a low shot.
Tampa, though, got one back at 8:12 of the second as a loose puck slid out to the slot and Barberio one-timed it home for his second of the game.
The Canes made it a two-goal game at the 6:14 mark of the third period after John-Michael Liles' shot from the high slot was blocked in front, with Hainsey slamming in the rebound from the left circle.
That was it for the scoring, though, as Bishop finished the third period with 16 saves to hold on for the win.
Carolina plays in Philadelphia on Tuesday ... Tampa Bay hosts Ottawa on Thursday ... The Lightning have won all three matchups with the Hurricanes this season, and seven of the last eight, overall ... Tampa went 1-for-2 on the power play, while Carolina was just 1-for-5.
- TAMPA BAY: 5
Jan 19 7:39 PM
- Carolina Goal - Ron Hainsey, at 6:14.
Lightning 5, Hurricanes 3 3rd - 13:46Jan 19 7:12 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 5
End of 2nd
Jan 19 6:42 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Mark Barberio, at 8:12.
Lightning 5, Hurricanes 2 2nd - 11:48Jan 19 6:20 PM
- Carolina Goal - Eric Staal (11), at 5:40.
Lightning 4, Hurricanes 2 2nd - 14:20Jan 19 6:12 PM
- Carolina Power-Play Goal - Alexander Semin (9), at 1:46.
Lightning 4, Hurricanes 1 2nd - 18:14Jan 19 6:06 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Teddy Purcell (10), at :24.
Lightning 4, Hurricanes 0 2nd - 19:36Jan 19 6:03 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 3
End of 1st
Jan 19 5:44 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Nikita Kucherov (8), at 15:07.
Lightning 3, Hurricanes 0 1st - 4:53Jan 19 5:34 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Ondrej Palat (10), from Martin St. Louis and Tyler Johnson at 7:32.
Lightning 2, Hurricanes 0 1st - 12:28Jan 19 5:21 PM
- Tampa Bay Power-Play Goal - Mark Barberio, at 6:09.
Lightning 1, Hurricanes 0 1st - 13:51Jan 19 5:17 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 19 5:08 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Confident Lightning feel Penguins haven't see their best May 18
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17