Jets edge HurricanesFeb 5, 2014 - 4:54 AM Raleigh, NC (SportsNetwork.com) - Chris Thorburn scored the winner with 1:03 to play as the Winnipeg Jets took a 2-1 win over the Carolina Hurricanes.
Andrew Ladd had the other goal and Ondrej Pavelec stopped 28 shots for the Jets, who have won three straight.
"It wasn't our best game because I don't think we played to our strengths," said Winnipeg head coach Paul Maurice. "But the structure was deep and our defense was good so that's what pulled us through."
Riley Nash scored the only goal of the game for the Hurricanes, who have dropped two of three. Anton Khudobin made 25 saves in defeat.
"It was a good hockey team and both teams played well," said Carolina head coach Kirk Muller. "We played our game plan, they just played theirs a little better."
The winning goal came as Jacob Trouba skated behind the net and came around the left side in an attempt on a wraparound. It missed the goaltender, but came to the right side and Thorburn slammed it in with 1:03 to play.
Carolina was unable to get any solid chances before time expired.
After a scoreless first period, the Jets took a 1-0 lead at 12:57 of the second period as Michael Frolik chipped the puck off the boards in the neutral zone to get behind the defender and blasted a shot on net from the left circle. Khudobin made the save, but the rebound came out to the slot and Ladd backhanded it in.
Carolina tied the game at 2:42 of the third when Drayson Bowman worked the puck through the middle and lost it when trying to get a shot off, but the puck went to the left circle and Nash snapped it in.
Carolina hosts Florida on Friday ... Winnipeg continues its four-game road trip in Washington on Thursday ... The Jets had taken three of four games against Carolina last season ... Winnipeg didn't have a power play in the game, while Carolina failed on its three chances.
- WINNIPEG: 2
Feb 4 9:21 PM
- Alexander Semin shot blocked by Zach Bogosian.
Jets 2, Hurricanes 1 3rd - 0:06Feb 4 9:20 PM
- Jacob Trouba wrap-around shot is wide.
Jets 1, Hurricanes 1 3rd - 1:05Feb 4 9:17 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Chris Thorburn (2), from Jacob Trouba at 18:57.
Jets 2, Hurricanes 1 3rd - 1:03Feb 4 9:17 PM
- Carolina Goal - Riley Nash (7), at 2:42.
Jets 1, Hurricanes 1 3rd - 17:18Feb 4 8:50 PM
- WINNIPEG: 1
End of 2nd
Feb 4 8:28 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Andrew Ladd, at 12:57.
Jets 1, Hurricanes 0 2nd - 7:03Feb 4 8:19 PM
- WINNIPEG: 0
End of 1st
Feb 4 7:38 PM
- WINNIPEG: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 4 7:08 PM
- Canada earns 3rd win at worlds, routs Belarus 8-0 May 9
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- Hurricanes, Nordstrom agree to 2-year, $2.55M extension Apr 22
- Goalie Cam Ward says he wants to return to Hurricanes Apr 12
- Hurricanes confident rebuilding plan is on the right track Apr 10
- Winnipeg Jets rally from 3 goals down to stun LA Kings 4-3 Apr 10
- Panthers score 3 early goals, beat Hurricanes 5-2 Apr 9
- Jets-Kings Preview Apr 8
- Hurricanes-Panthers Preview Apr 8
- Byfuglien scores late to give Jets 5-4 victory over Sharks Apr 8
- NHL Capsules Apr 8
- Lindgren shines in debut, leads Canadiens past Hurricanes Apr 7