Holden leads 3rd-period surge, Avs top LightningMar 3, 2014 - 4:18 AM
Colorado trailed 3-2 heading into the third period, but Holden tied it 5:12 into the frame and Erik Johnson, who returned to the lineup after serving a two-game suspension, delivered the game-winner at 16:05. Holden and Paul Stastny added empty-netters for the final margin.
"I just tried to make a play," said Johnson.
Tyson Barrie and Ryan O'Reilly also scored for the Avalanche, winners in three of their last four games. Semyon Varlamov turned aside 31-of-34 shots to earn the win.
Nate Thompson posted his second multi-goal effort of the season with a pair of second-period markers. Tom Pyatt scored the other goal for Tampa Bay and Ben Bishop allowed four goals on 33 shots.
"It's tough for us right now," said Thompson. "We had a couple breakdowns at the end and those ended up in the back of the net."
After a misdirection play to the left of Bishop early in the third, Holden found himself all alone in front of the goal. O'Reilly controlled the puck and fed him for the equalizer.
Nearly 11 minutes later, Johnson stole the disc in the Tampa Bay zone and skated around before wristing a shot that snuck past Bishop for the eventual winner.
Earlier, Pyatt opened the scoring at 16:49 of the first when he played give- and-go with Teddy Purcell and found the back of the net with a wrister, but Barrie and O'Reilly scored before the period ended to give Colorado a 2-1 edge after 20 minutes.
Michael Kostka assisted on both Thompson goals in the second, which came at the 6:40 and 17:37 marks.
Nathan MacKinnon had two assists, giving him at least one point in 11 straight games ... Lightning defenseman Radko Gudas left the game in the second period with a leg injury and did not return.
- TAMPA BAY: 3
Mar 2 10:36 PM
- Nikita Kucherov wrist shot is wide.
Lightning 3, Avalanche 6 3rd - 0:07Mar 2 10:35 PM
- Colorado Empty Net Goal - Nick Holden (6), from Maxime Talbot at 19:06.
Lightning 3, Avalanche 5 3rd - 0:54Mar 2 10:34 PM
- Colorado Goal - Erik Johnson, at 16:05.
Lightning 3, Avalanche 4 3rd - 3:55Mar 2 10:28 PM
- Colorado Power-Play Goal - Nick Holden (5), from Ryan O'Reilly and Matt Duchene at 5:12.
Lightning 3, Avalanche 3 3rd - 14:48Mar 2 10:05 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 3
End of 2nd
Mar 2 9:39 PM
- John Mitchell snap shot on Ben Bishop.
Lightning 3, Avalanche 2 2nd - 2:13Mar 2 9:35 PM
- Nate Thompson shot blocked by Tyson Barrie.
Lightning 2, Avalanche 2 2nd - 2:24Mar 2 9:34 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Nate Thompson (8), at 17:37.
Lightning 3, Avalanche 2 2nd - 2:23Mar 2 9:34 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Nate Thompson (7), from Michael Kostka and Matt Carle at 6:40.
Lightning 2, Avalanche 2 2nd - 13:20Mar 2 9:14 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 1
End of 1st
Mar 2 8:46 PM
- Colorado Goal - Ryan O'Reilly (23), at 19:01.
Lightning 1, Avalanche 2 1st - 0:59Mar 2 8:45 PM
- Colorado Goal - Tyson Barrie (8), from Paul Stastny and Nathan MacKinnon at 17:19.
Lightning 1, Avalanche 1 1st - 2:41Mar 2 8:43 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Tom Pyatt (2), at 16:49.
Lightning 1, Avalanche 0 1st - 3:11Mar 2 8:41 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 2 8:13 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Confident Lightning feel Penguins haven't see their best May 18
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17