Gustavsson helps Red Wings beat JacketsOct 16, 2013 - 5:15 AM
Daniel Alfredsson and Todd Bertuzzi each had a goal for the Red Wings, who have won three straight.
Sergei Bobrovsky made 30 saves and Cam Atkinson scored the only goal for the Blue Jackets, who have dropped their past two games.
"As a coach it's disappointing because this is where you want your guys to get rewarded for all their hard work," said Columbus head coach Todd Richards. "I thought we carried the play much of the game and outplayed them."
Detroit scored the only goal of the first period as Alfredsson scored his first as a Red Wing.
Alfredsson had passed the puck over to Henrik Zetterberg, who then tried to pass the puck to the right side. The puck went off Fedor Tyutin, however, Pavel Datsyuk was there to chip it over to the left and Alfredsson went high to beat Bobrovsky at 5:05.
"I though we had a real good start to the game tonight," said Alfredsson. "We came out with a lot of energy and some patience and it paid off with that quick goal. Nice to get the first home in front of the fans."
Skating on the power play in the second period, the Blue Jackets tied the game at 7:48 as Atkinson brought the puck from his own end up the middle and skated into the Red Wing zone before getting behind the defenders and bouncing a shot off the pad of Gustavsson before chipping in his own rebound.
The Red Wings, though, took the lead back 3 1/2 minutes later with a power- play goal of their own.
A Zetterberg shot from the right wing off a rebound shot was blocked in front, but the puck bounced around the middle and Bertuzzi slammed it home at 11:14 for a 2-1 lead.
Gustavsson turned away all 11 shots he faced in the third period as Detroit improved to 3-1-0 at home this season.
Detroit hits the road for a pair of games on Thursday and Saturday against Colorado and Phoenix, respectively ... Columbus continues its three-game road trip in Montreal on Thursday ... The Blue Jackets won four of five games against the Red Wings last season ... Columbus was 1-for-3 on the power play, while Detroit was 1-for-4.
- COLUMBUS: 1
Oct 15 10:35 PM
- COLUMBUS: 1
End of 2nd
Oct 15 9:38 PM
- Detroit Power-Play Goal - Pavel Datsyuk (3), at 11:14.
Blue Jackets 1, Red Wings 2 2nd - 8:46Oct 15 9:24 PM
- Columbus Goal - Cam Atkinson (2), at 7:48.
Blue Jackets 1, Red Wings 1 2nd - 12:12Oct 15 9:17 PM
- COLUMBUS: 0
End of 1st
Oct 15 8:46 PM
- Detroit Goal - Daniel Alfredsson, at 5:05.
Blue Jackets 0, Red Wings 1 1st - 14:55Oct 15 8:16 PM
- COLUMBUS: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Oct 15 8:08 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- Predators feeling pain of team's best run coming up short May 13
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 29
- New home of Detroit Red Wings to be Little Caesars Arena Apr 28
- Stamkos skates, but not close to returning for Lightning Apr 27
- Blackhawks positioned for more success next season Apr 26