Quick first period leads Jackets past RangersDec 13, 2013 - 4:24 AM
Ryan Johansen added a late insurance marker and Mike McKenna stopped 17-of-18 in a strong relief effort of Curtis McElhinney to help the Blue Jackets post their fourth win in five outings and send the Rangers to a fourth straight loss, all have which come at the head of a franchise-record nine-game residency.
McElhinney turned aside 15-of-16 chances before departing after the first period due to a lower-body injury.
Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist had an early exit as well, pulled by head coach Alain Vigneault after 11:10 of action when letting up three goals on 13 shots.
Dominic Moore and Dan Girardi each scored for New York, with Cam Talbot saving 13-of-14 shots upon taking over for Lundqvist.
"It's tough," Rangers forward Brad Richards said of his team's struggles. "It seems like everything is going the wrong way."
The Blue Jackets dictated the action right from the get-go, scoring on their initial shift and recording the game's first six shots while eventually racing out to a 3-0 lead.
Calvert quickly put Columbus ahead with his team on a 3-on-2 rush, skating past New York defenseman Anton Stralman before rifling a high riser past Lundqvist's glove hand just 38 seconds in.
Anisimov, one of three players acquired from the Rangers in the blockbuster trade that landed sniper Rick Nash in New York in July of 2012, made it a 2-0 game at the 8:46 mark by knocking in a Blake Comeau feed while camped out at the right side of the Rangers' net.
Lundqvist's night was over less than 2 1/2 minutes afterward, when a long wrist shot by Savard deflected off New York's Michael Del Zotto and found its way through.
"The guys were geared up," Blue Jackets head coach Todd Richards remarked. "They were focused and energized and it was a great start."
The Rangers were able to trim the deficit later in the period. McElhinney kicked away an attempt from Richards, but Moore was perfectly positioned to backhand the rebound into an open right side one second after a New York power play had expired.
New York put together a sharper second period, outshooting the Blue Jackets 11-6 for the frame, but McKenna was up to the challenge and Columbus maintained its 3-1 advantage into the third.
"He came in in a tough spot and did a great job," Richards said of McKenna. "The guys in front of him did a great job."
Talbot was able to keep the Rangers in it with several key saves as well, and the Blueshirts pulled within a goal when Girardi beat McKenna to the glove side with 8:53 left to play after taking in a pinpoint pass from Mats Zuccarello with the teams skating 4-on-4.
Johansen thwarted any comeback hopes, though, by winning a puck in the neutral zone and starting a breakaway he finished with a shot that trickled through Talbot's pads with just 1:32 remaining.
Nash, Columbus' all-time leader in goals, points and games played, did not register a shot and was a minus-two in his first-ever meeting with his ex- team. He missed the clubs' Nov. 7 matchup in Columbus recovering from a concussion ... Three of Calvert's four goals this season have come in the last three games ... Moore's goal was his first in the NHL since Jan. 17, 2012, which came against Boston while with Tampa Bay. He sat out last season following his wife's death from cancer ... Johansen's goal extended his point streak to seven games ... Rangers center Derick Brassard missed the game after falling on his backside during Tuesday's loss to Nashville ... New York defenseman Dylan McIlrath, the 10th overall pick in the 2010 draft, made his NHL debut ... The Jackets improved to 36-0-0 under Richards when leading after two periods.
- COLUMBUS: 4
NEW YORK: 2
Dec 12 9:37 PM
- Columbus Goal - Ryan Johansen (11), at 18:28.
Blue Jackets 4, Rangers 2 3rd - 1:32Dec 12 9:33 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Dan Girardi (2), at 11:07.
Blue Jackets 3, Rangers 2 3rd - 8:53Dec 12 9:18 PM
- COLUMBUS: 3
NEW YORK: 1
End of 2nd
Dec 12 8:42 PM
- COLUMBUS: 3
NEW YORK: 1
End of 1st
Dec 12 7:47 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Dominic Moore, at 14:08.
Blue Jackets 3, Rangers 1 1st - 5:52Dec 12 7:35 PM
- Columbus Goal - David Savard, at 11:10.
Blue Jackets 3, Rangers 0 1st - 8:50Dec 12 7:29 PM
- Columbus Goal - Artem Anisimov, at 8:46.
Blue Jackets 2, Rangers 0 1st - 11:14Dec 12 7:23 PM
- Columbus Goal - Matt Calvert (4), at :38.
Blue Jackets 1, Rangers 0 1st - 19:22Dec 12 7:11 PM
- COLUMBUS: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 12 7:09 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Major League Baseball suspends Rangers' Odor for 8 games and Andrus for 1 game, and Blue Jays' Chavez and Gibbons for 3 each and Bautista, Leiper for 1 apiece for role in brawl May 17
- Predators feeling pain of team's best run coming up short May 13
- New York Rangers sign KHL forward Pavel Bucknevich May 13
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- Capitals are loose and confident and on brink of elimination May 6
- New York Rangers rookie Oscar Lindberg has hip surgery May 6
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Rangers agree to deal with backup goalie Antti Raanta May 2
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Blackhawks positioned for more success next season Apr 26
- Winds of change coming to Rangers after early playoff exit Apr 26