Neal's hat trick carries Pens past JacketsDec 30, 2013 - 3:56 AM
Sidney Crosby and Chris Kunitz each registered a goal and two assists for the Penguins, who have won nine of their last 10 contests. Jeff Zatkoff made 25 stops in the win.
"We generated enough chances and I'm glad we found the back of the net," said Crosby.
Brandon Dubinsky, Corey Tropp and Nikita Nikitin lit the lamp for the Blue Jackets, who had a three-game win streak snapped. Curtis McElhinney made 25 saves.
Crosby broke the tie at the 10:51 mark in the third. He and Kunitz had a give right in front of the net where McElhinney made the initial save that dropped in front of him, but Mark Letestu collided into his goalie and the puck trickled between McElhinney's legs into the net for a 3-2 edge.
Kunitz put Pittsburgh up two a little more than two minutes later with a power-play blast from the right dot. Neal made it 5-2 at the 17:33 mark with a goal in traffic.
"They scored on 50 percent of their power-play and that just can't happen," said Dubinsky.
Nikitin added a goal with 1:29 left that accounted for the final margin.
Dubinsky started the scoring when he gathered the puck after a Pens turnover in the left circle, switched to his backhand and slid it through Zatkoff's pads to take the lead 3:59 in. The Pens answered quickly, less than a minute later. Just 28 seconds into a power play, Neal's wrister from the high slot tied it up.
Neal scored his second of the game at 8:34 in the second after he batted the puck out of the air, Crosby settled it and fed Neal in the slot, and his snap shot beat McElhinney glove side.
About five minutes later, Tropp dangled in the slot to get through Olli Maatta's legs, then beat Zatkoff in tight to make it 2-2.
The Penguins are 4-0 this season against Columbus ... Pittsburgh is 28-4-1 this season when Crosby records a point ... Columbus sent Ryan Craig to AHL Springfield prior to the game ... Pens defensemen Rob Scuderi (broken ankle) returned after 29-game absence ... Pens center Evgeni Malkin missed his seventh game in a row due to a lower-body injury.
- PITTSBURGH: 5
Dec 29 8:36 PM
- Columbus Goal - Nikita Nikitin, at 18:31.
Penguins 5, Blue Jackets 3 3rd - 1:29Dec 29 8:32 PM
- Pittsburgh Power-Play Goal - James Neal (14), at 17:33.
Penguins 5, Blue Jackets 2 3rd - 2:27Dec 29 8:29 PM
- Pittsburgh Power-Play Goal - Chris Kunitz (21), at 12:58.
Penguins 4, Blue Jackets 2 3rd - 7:02Dec 29 8:19 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Sidney Crosby (22), from Chris Kunitz and James Neal at 10:51.
Penguins 3, Blue Jackets 2 3rd - 9:09Dec 29 8:16 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 2
End of 2nd
Dec 29 7:34 PM
- Zach Sill wrist shot on Curtis McElhinney.
Penguins 2, Blue Jackets 2 2nd - 5:58Dec 29 7:25 PM
- Corey Tropp shot on Jeff Zatkoff.
Penguins 2, Blue Jackets 1 2nd - 6:18Dec 29 7:24 PM
- Columbus Goal - Corey Tropp (2), at 13:42.
Penguins 2, Blue Jackets 2 2nd - 6:18Dec 29 7:24 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - James Neal (13), at 8:34.
Penguins 2, Blue Jackets 1 2nd - 11:26Dec 29 7:16 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 1
End of 1st
Dec 29 6:43 PM
- Pittsburgh Power-Play Goal - James Neal (12), at 4:55.
Penguins 1, Blue Jackets 1 1st - 15:05Dec 29 6:15 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
1st Period - 16:01
Penguins 0, Blue Jackets 1 1st - 16:01Dec 29 6:14 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 29 6:08 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to start Game 5 May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19