Grand Final: Jackets beat Flyers in Columbus' 1,000th gameJan 24, 2014 - 4:37 AM
"This is a credit to our players. We've talked as a group about playing better at home and creating an identity," said Columbus head coach Todd Richards.
Jack Johnson, Derek MacKenzie and Matt Calvert also lit the lamp for the Blue Jackets, who also extended their franchise-high win streak to eight games.
Sergei Bobrovsky faced his former club for the first time and picked up the win thanks to 26 saves.
Brayden Schenn and Vincent Lecavalier tallied for the Flyers, losers of three in a row and six of their last eight. Ray Emery was left in for all five scores on 39 shots in defeat.
"We're just not defending very well and we're not very good in our own end," Flyers head coach Craig Berube said of the team's recent struggles. "I don't think it's a work-ethic thing. I think it's just execution for the most part."
Trailing by a goal, the Flyers held a 5-on-3 edge for 45 seconds at the end of the second and start of the third thanks to minors to Horton and Fedor Tyutin 75 seconds apart, but failed to capitalize and Columbus took advantage.
Dubinsky provided insurance for the hosts with a shot from between the circles at 3:29 for a 4-2 Blue Jackets advantage.
It was 5-2 for the hosts when Horton ended his rush up the right wing by beating Emery with a high, hard shot to the far side with just under seven minutes gone.
Philadelphia's offense mustered only four shots in the third period and Bobrovsky was equal to all and made his club's winning margin stand up.
"When everyone's rolling it makes a lot of things easier for us. We have a lot of guys playing really well," Johnson said of his club's 9-1-0 record since Horton made his debut.
Columbus benefited from an odd bounce to score first, as Johnson's shot from the left-wing boards deflected off the leg of Flyers defenseman Luke Schenn in front and fluttered past Emery with 8:20 gone in the first period.
Schenn evened the game at 1:56 of the second, sliding home a third-chance rebound of his own shot during a 3-on-1 break. Lecavalier's blast from the right circle on a power play gave Philly a 2-1 edge at 7:21.
Columbus knotted the score with 8:36 left, as MacKenzie tipped in an Artem Anisimov dish in front. The Jackets moved ahead by a goal on the advantage at 16:13 when a pass from the left circle by James Wisniewski changed direction off the skate of Calvert and hit the net.
Columbus improved to 4-2-2 all-time at home against Philadelphia, including four straight wins since December of 2008 ... The Flyers hadn't dropped three in a row since Dec. 7-11.
- PHILADELPHIA: 2
Jan 23 9:35 PM
- Columbus Goal - Nathan Horton (4), at 6:54.
Flyers 2, Blue Jackets 5 3rd - 13:06Jan 23 9:09 PM
- Boone Jenner wrist shot is wide.
Flyers 2, Blue Jackets 4 3rd - 15:57Jan 23 9:07 PM
- Brandon Dubinsky shot on Ray Emery.
Flyers 2, Blue Jackets 3 3rd - 16:31Jan 23 9:05 PM
- Columbus Goal - Brandon Dubinsky (11), at 3:29.
Flyers 2, Blue Jackets 4 3rd - 16:31Jan 23 9:05 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 2
End of 2nd
Jan 23 8:41 PM
- Columbus Power-Play Goal - Matt Calvert (6), from James Wisniewski at 16:13.
Flyers 2, Blue Jackets 3 2nd - 3:47Jan 23 8:33 PM
- Columbus Goal - Derek MacKenzie (3), at 11:24.
Flyers 2, Blue Jackets 2 2nd - 8:36Jan 23 8:23 PM
- Philadelphia Power-Play Goal - Vincent Lecavalier (11), at 7:21.
Flyers 2, Blue Jackets 1 2nd - 12:39Jan 23 8:13 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Brayden Schenn (14), at 1:56.
Flyers 1, Blue Jackets 1 2nd - 18:04Jan 23 8:06 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
End of 1st
Jan 23 7:45 PM
- Columbus Goal - Jack Johnson (3), at 8:20.
Flyers 0, Blue Jackets 1 1st - 11:40Jan 23 7:23 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 23 7:08 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Predators feeling pain of team's best run coming up short May 13
- 'The Goldbergs' creator talks love affair with Flyers May 10
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Flyers F Schenn suspended for 3 games for charging Apr 26
- Blackhawks positioned for more success next season Apr 26
- Capitals' Orpik could be difference-maker vs. Penguins Apr 26
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Capitals set for rare postseason rematch against Penguins Apr 25
- NHL Playoff Capsules Apr 24