Blue Jackets down PanthersMar 2, 2014 - 1:24 AM
David Savard had a goal and an assist, while R.J. Umberger and Cam Atkinson also scored for the Blue Jackets, who snapped a three-game losing streak. Sergei Bobrovsky turned away 17 shots while Nick Foligno and Matt Calvert added empty-net goals in the win.
"The way the game was going both teams were sucking energy out of each other," said Columbus head coach Todd Richards. "I thought we did some good things, but some big miscues and they put it in our net."
Shawn Matthias and Nick Bjugstad each posted a goal and an assist for the Panthers, who have lost their last four. Scott Clemmensen gave up four goals on 35 shots in the loss.
"The special teams weren't very good today," said Bjugstad. "This was a tough one here today, but the game was a lot closer than what the score showed."
With the score tied late in the second and Columbus skating a man down, Anisimov stripped the puck at the right boards and rushed to the front, stickhandling past a defender and stuffing it in with 10 seconds showing on the clock.
"Artey made a big indiviudal play right there and that must have been disheartening to them," said Richards.
Florida managed just six shots in the third period, with Foligno and Calvert scoring into the empty net after the Panthers pulled Clemmensen.
Umberger scored on the power play at 7:42 of the first period when he jammed home a rebound from in front, and it was a 2-0 game just over three minutes later after Atkinson scored on a redirect on the power play.
Florida got one back at 13:50 of the first when Matthias stole a pass in the neutral zone and rushed to the front for his seventh of the season, and the Panthers tied the game at 6:54 of the second as Bjugstad snuck home a backhander from down low for his 14th.
Savard scored on the power play at 10:50 of the second to give the Blue Jackets a 3-2 lead, but Sean Bergenheim lit the lamp just 40 seconds later to again tie the game.
Columbus defenseman Jack Johnson had three assists in the win ... Columbus plays in Toronto on Monday ... Florida plays in Toronto on Monday ... The Blue Jackets have won seven straight against the Panthers ... The Blue Jackets were 3-for-4 on the power play, while Florida went 0-for-4.
- FLORIDA: 3
Mar 1 4:35 PM
- Columbus Empty Net Goal - Matt Calvert (7), at 19:23.
Panthers 3, Blue Jackets 6 3rd - 0:37Mar 1 4:33 PM
- Columbus Empty Net Goal - Nick Foligno, at 18:59.
Panthers 3, Blue Jackets 5 3rd - 1:01Mar 1 4:31 PM
- FLORIDA: 3
End of 2nd
Mar 1 3:42 PM
- Columbus Short-Handed Goal - Artem Anisimov (15), at 19:50.
Panthers 3, Blue Jackets 4 2nd - 0:10Mar 1 3:40 PM
- FLORIDA: 3
2nd Period - 8:30
Panthers 3, Blue Jackets 3 2nd - 8:30Mar 1 3:23 PM
- Columbus Power-Play Goal at 10:50.
Panthers 2, Blue Jackets 3 2nd - 9:10Mar 1 3:20 PM
- Florida Goal - Nick Bjugstad, at 6:54.
Panthers 2, Blue Jackets 2 2nd - 13:06Mar 1 3:11 PM
- FLORIDA: 1
End of 1st
Mar 1 2:44 PM
- FLORIDA: 1
1st Period - 5:23
Mar 1 2:36 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Panthers make Tallon president, Rowe GM May 16
- Predators feeling pain of team's best run coming up short May 13
- Florida Panthers, Erik Gudbranson agree on 1-year deal May 9
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- Trotz, Ruff, Gallant are Jack Adams Award finalists May 5
- Jaromir Jagr returning to Florida Panthers on 1-year deal May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Calgary fires Bob Hartley, a season after coach of the year May 3
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Panthers indicate that Mitchell's career likely over Apr 26