Coyotes rally for win in DetroitOct 11, 2013 - 6:30 AM
The Coyotes had been outscored by a 10-2 margin in dropping the first two tests on their current five-game road trip, but bounced back on goals by Stone, Derek Morris and Mikkel Boedker combined with a strong 28-save performance from Mike Smith. Boedker added an assist on Antoine Vermette's empty-net tally in the final minute.
Detroit received 34 saves from Jimmy Howard in the loss, the Red Wings' second straight following a 2-0 start, with Joakim Andersson and Jonathan Ericsson accounting for the team's two scores.
"We didn't spend a ton of time in their zone," Detroit's Daniel Cleary said.
Both Smith and Howard were sharp during a third period in which neither team could find the back of the net for the first 15-plus minutes. Stone ended the drought, however, by taking a drop pass from Mike Ribeiro and firing a well- placed drive from near the blueline that landed over Howard's right shoulder and in.
"Ribeiro made a great pass, and I got a screen in front from Marty Hanzal," Stone said.
The Red Wings pulled Howard with just over a minute left, but the Coyotes controlled the puck on a draw and embarked on a 3-on-2 rush culminating in Vermette's game-sealer with 50.7 seconds on the final clock.
Detroit had taken a 2-1 edge when Ericsson's soft shot from near the right boards found its way under Smith's glove and in with six minutes elapsed in the second period. The advantage lasted all of 64 seconds, however, as Boedker fired a rebound of his initial try into an open left side to tie the score.
Morris, back from a lower-body injury that kept him out of Tuesday's 6-1 loss to the New York Islanders, collected an assist on the goal and quickly made his presence felt early on. Following a faceoff win by Vermette in the Detroit zone, the defenseman blasted a shot from the right point that beat Howard with Shane Doan setting a screen in front just 2:21 into the contest.
Smith made 10 saves during a spotless first period to keep Phoenix ahead, but the Red Wings scored 53 seconds apart in the second to move in front.
Jakub Kindl led a rush up the ice that ended in Andersson's tapper past Smith at the 5:07 mark of the session, and Ericsson found the back of the net 53 seconds later for a 2-1 Detroit lead.
Coyotes forward Paul Bissonnette returned from a 3-game suspension for his role in an on-ice brawl during a preseason game against Los Angeles on Sept. 15 ... Phoenix is now 115-13-19 since the start of the 2009-10 season when scoring the game's first goal, including 2-0-0 this season ... The Red Wings finished 0-for-2 on the power play and have failed to score on 10 chances with the man advantage this season ... Phoenix recalled forwards Tim Kennedy and Brandon Yip from AHL Portland on Wednesday, with Kennedy dressing for the contest.
- PHOENIX: 4
Oct 10 10:11 PM
- Phoenix Empty Net Goal - Antoine Vermette, from Mikkel Boedker at 19:09.
Coyotes 4, Red Wings 2 3rd - 0:51Oct 10 10:11 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Michael Stone, from Mike Ribeiro and Martin Hanzal at 15:13.
Coyotes 3, Red Wings 2 3rd - 4:47Oct 10 10:01 PM
- PHOENIX: 2
End of 2nd
Oct 10 9:15 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Mikkel Boedker, at 7:04.
Coyotes 2, Red Wings 2 2nd - 12:56Oct 10 8:54 PM
- Detroit Goal - Jonathan Ericsson, at 6:00.
Coyotes 1, Red Wings 2 2nd - 14:00Oct 10 8:51 PM
- Detroit Goal - Joakim Andersson, at 5:07.
Coyotes 1, Red Wings 1 2nd - 14:53Oct 10 8:48 PM
- PHOENIX: 1
End of 1st
Oct 10 8:21 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Derek Morris, at 2:21.
Coyotes 1, Red Wings 0 1st - 17:39Oct 10 7:43 PM
- PHOENIX: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Oct 10 7:38 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Coyotes, Tucson make it official: Moving AHL team to city May 19
- Tucson city council approves deal for Coyotes AHL affiliate May 17
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- AHL board approves sale, relocation of Coyotes' affililate May 10
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Arizona's Chayka becomes youngest GM in NHL history May 5
- AP Source: Coyotes to promote 26-year-old Chayka to GM May 4
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 29
- New home of Detroit Red Wings to be Little Caesars Arena Apr 28