Zetterberg, Red Wings ground punchless FlyersOct 13, 2013 - 5:28 AM
Pavel Datsyuk and Niklas Kronwall each posted a goal and two helpers for the Red Wings, who pumped in their first three power-play goals of the season and halted a two-game losing skid.
Daniel Alfredsson picked up three assists and Todd Bertuzzi added a score to back Jimmy Howard's 32-save performance.
"I thought we entered the zone pretty good, we moved the puck around quite a bit and most important thing, we shot the puck," Bertuzzi said.
Erik Gustafsson and Tye McGinn lit the lamp for the Flyers, who continued their early season slide with their fifth loss in six contests.
"You don't ever want to get comfortable with losing," Philadelphia head coach Craig Berube said. "But we played a solid game, a lot of urgency. We were competitive, but it wasn't enough."
Ray Emery was victimized for all four goals on 29 shots in his second start of the year.
Philadelphia, which has scored a franchise-low eight goals to start the season, received bad news at the outset. Club GM Paul Holmgren revealed that forward Scott Hartnell will miss 2-to-4 weeks with an upper-body injury and forward Vincent Lecavalier will be out one week with a lower-body issue.
Despite heavy pressure to start the third, the visitors couldn't get one past Howard.
On the same shift after two Flyers missed open nets, Braydon Coburn was sent off for holding and the Wings capitalized with their third power-play score of the contest on Datsyuk's backhander from the slot at 3:08.
McGinn made it a one-goal contest with 5:46 played, following up a Claude Giroux rebound and beating Howard from the left side.
Zetterberg, however, restored the Wings' two-goal edge by beating Emery with 6:12 remaining. He tallied once more inside the final minute of regulation into the empty net, as Emery was summoned to the bench for an extra attacker with more than two minutes to play.
Only 24 seconds into their first power play, the Wings went up 1-0 as Bertuzzi wrapped the puck around the right post and in with 7:13 played in the opening period.
Kronwall's hard wrister from the left circle zipped under the crossbar and gave Detroit a 2-0 edge with 8:52 remaining in the second period and seconds to go on a Luke Schenn holding penalty.
But Philly climbed within a goal just 34 seconds later, when Gustafsson's knuckler from the point eluded Howard.
The Flyers fell to 1-18-2 in Detroit, including two losses in the 1997 Stanley Cup Finals, since a 4-3 win on Nov. 4, 1988 ... To fill the roster spots, the Flyers recalled McGinn and Michael Raffl from Adirondack of the American Hockey League ... Kronwall's tally was his first since March 15 ... Prior to the contest, the Red Wings agreed to terms on a three-year, entry-level contract with first-round pick and forward Anthony Mantha.
- PHILADELPHIA: 2
Oct 12 9:38 PM
- Detroit Empty Net Goal - Henrik Zetterberg (4), at 19:07.
Flyers 2, Red Wings 5 3rd - 0:53Oct 12 9:35 PM
- Detroit Goal - Henrik Zetterberg (3), from Pavel Datsyuk at 13:48.
Flyers 2, Red Wings 4 3rd - 6:12Oct 12 9:23 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 2
3rd Period - 14:14
Flyers 2, Red Wings 3 3rd - 14:14Oct 12 9:09 PM
- Detroit Power-Play Goal - Pavel Datsyuk (2), from Niklas Kronwall and Daniel Alfredsson at 3:08.
Flyers 1, Red Wings 3 3rd - 16:52Oct 12 9:04 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 1
End of 2nd
Oct 12 8:41 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Erik Gustafsson, at 11:42.
Flyers 1, Red Wings 2 2nd - 8:18Oct 12 8:22 PM
- Detroit Power-Play Goal - Niklas Kronwall, from Daniel Alfredsson and Henrik Zetterberg at 11:08.
Flyers 0, Red Wings 2 2nd - 8:52Oct 12 8:21 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
End of 1st
Oct 12 7:52 PM
- Detroit Goal - Todd Bertuzzi, from Daniel Alfredsson and Niklas Kronwall at 7:13.
Flyers 0, Red Wings 1 1st - 12:47Oct 12 7:22 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Oct 12 7:08 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- 'The Goldbergs' creator talks love affair with Flyers May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 29
- New home of Detroit Red Wings to be Little Caesars Arena Apr 28
- Stamkos skates, but not close to returning for Lightning Apr 27
- Flyers F Schenn suspended for 3 games for charging Apr 26
- Capitals' Orpik could be difference-maker vs. Penguins Apr 26