Tatar, Red Wings top CanucksOct 31, 2013 - 6:43 AM Vancouver, BC (SportsNetwork.com) - Tomas Tatar scored the game-winning goal late in the second period and the Detroit Red Wings earned a hard-fought 2-1 victory over the Vancouver Canucks on Wednesday at Rogers Arena.
Daniel Alfredsson scored Detroit's other goal and Jimmy Howard made 19 saves for the Red Wings, who snapped a four-game losing skid.
"I've got to give the guys a lot of credit tonight," Howard said. "They did a great job in front of me."
Daniel Sedin scored the lone Vancouver marker and Roberto Luongo allowed both goals on 27 shots for the Canucks, who had won four straight.
Sedin's wrister from a tough angle on the low right side staked the Canucks to a 1-0 lead with 5:48 left in the first, but the Red Wings responded with a pair of goals in the middle stanza to seize control of the contest.
Alfredsson evened the score 11:37 into the second when he pounded in a rebound from the low right side amid a scrum in front.
Detroit then pulled in front late in the frame when Tatar skated down the right side and stopped on a dime just inside the Vancouver zone before flipping a shot on net that snuck between the pads of Luongo to give Detroit a 2-1 lead with 1:02 left in the period.
Howard stood tall between the pipes in the third, turning away all seven shots he faced while helping the Red Wings kill off a pair of penalties to hang on for the victory.
"It's frustrating," Vancouver center Ryan Kesler said. "We played a decent game but were sloppy at times and we couldn't come back in the end."
Detroit's Patrick Eaves logged 7:23 of ice time in his season debut after missing the first 12 games with a sprained knee and ankle injury ... Daniel Sedin has notched seven points over his last five games, while brother Henrik registered an assist to run his point-streak to 10 games ... Both teams finished 0-for-3 on the power play.
- DETROIT: 2
Oct 31 1:12 AM
- DETROIT: 2
End of 2nd
Oct 31 12:11 AM
- Detroit Goal - Tomas Tatar, at 18:58.
Red Wings 2, Canucks 1 2nd - 1:02Oct 31 12:09 AM
- Detroit Goal - Daniel Alfredsson (3), at 11:37.
Red Wings 1, Canucks 1 2nd - 8:23Oct 30 11:57 PM
- DETROIT: 0
End of 1st
Oct 30 11:18 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Daniel Sedin (6), at 14:12.
Red Wings 0, Canucks 1 1st - 5:48Oct 30 11:07 PM
- DETROIT: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Oct 30 10:45 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 29
- New home of Detroit Red Wings to be Little Caesars Arena Apr 28
- Stamkos skates, but not close to returning for Lightning Apr 27
- Blackhawks, Ducks try to close out series on road Apr 25
- Blackhawks, Ducks try to close out series on road Apr 24
- Red Wings follow refrain, make brief appearance in playoffs Apr 22
- Bishop shines, Lightning eliminate Red Wings in 5 games Apr 22