Jets pepper Howard, rally past Red WingsNov 5, 2013 - 4:44 AM
Andrew Ladd, Bryan Little and Michael Frolik each posted a goal and an assist for the Jets, who had lost six of seven coming into the game. Al Montoya stopped 26 shots in the win.
"I thought one of the things we did very well was we got the pucks to the goal line and I thought we put a lot of pressure on their defense, a lot of shots to the net so there was a lot of really good things in that game," said Winnipeg head coach Claude Noel. "I thought a lot of guys had a really good game."
Henrik Zetterberg and Danny Dekeyser each scored for the Red Wings, who had a three-game winning streak broken up. Jimmy Howard allowed all four goals on 47 shots in the loss.
"You know, I didn't think we were great tonight in any way, but you got to give the opposition credit too," said Detroit head coach Mike Babcock. "They were at home and they gave up five goals the other night and they were ready to skate. I though they played hard and we didn't play hard enough or didn't have the energy to play hard enough."
With the score tied in the third, the Jets took a 3-2 lead at 4:27 of the third as Michael Frolik snapped a pass from the right boards to the slot where Halischuk one-timed it home for his first of the season.
Ladd gave Winnipeg some insurance with 9:03 to play as he backhanded in a rebound of a Devin Setoguchi shot for his fourth of the season.
The Jets took a 1-0 lead with 59.5 seconds to play in the first period as Kyle Quincey couldn't hold the puck at the left point and Little went the other way. His first shot was stopped, but he followed it up and put in his rebound for his eighth of the season.
Detroit tied the game at 7:09 of the second period thanks to Zetterberg's eight of the year as he threw the puck on net from the left wing and it went off the skate of Grant Clitsome's skate and in.
The Red Wings went up 2-1 three minutes later as Stephen Weiss won a left circle faceoff back to the point for Niklas Kronwall, who then sent it over to the high slot where Dekeyser slapped it in for a shorthanded goal and his first career marker.
Winnipeg, though, tied the game with 2:56 left in the middle frame as a turnover in the neutral zone by Mark Scheifele was taken the other way and from the right wing he passed it to the slot where Frolik shot it in.
Detroit hosts Dallas on Thursday ... Winnipeg plays in Chicago on Wednesday ... The Jets have won three of the last four games against the Red Wings ... Winnipeg went 0-for-6 on the power play, while Detroit was 0-for-3.
- DETROIT: 2
Nov 4 10:37 PM
- Drew Miller wrist shot on Al Montoya.
Red Wings 2, Jets 4 3rd - 8:49Nov 4 10:21 PM
- Devin Setoguchi wrist shot on Jimmy Howard.
Red Wings 2, Jets 3 3rd - 9:04Nov 4 10:20 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Andrew Ladd, at 10:57.
Red Wings 2, Jets 4 3rd - 9:03Nov 4 10:20 PM
- DETROIT: 2
3rd Period - 15:33
Red Wings 2, Jets 3 3rd - 15:33Nov 4 10:08 PM
- DETROIT: 2
End of 2nd
Nov 4 9:42 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Michael Frolik (3), from Mark Scheifele at 17:04.
Red Wings 2, Jets 2 2nd - 2:56Nov 4 9:36 PM
- Detroit Short-Handed Goal - Danny DeKeyser, at 10:05.
Red Wings 2, Jets 1 2nd - 9:55Nov 4 9:25 PM
- Detroit Goal - Todd Bertuzzi (5), at 7:09.
Red Wings 1, Jets 1 2nd - 12:51Nov 4 9:24 PM
- DETROIT: 0
End of 1st
Nov 4 8:46 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Bryan Little (8), at 19:00.
Red Wings 0, Jets 1 1st - 1:00Nov 4 8:44 PM
- DETROIT: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 4 8:08 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 29
- New home of Detroit Red Wings to be Little Caesars Arena Apr 28
- Stamkos skates, but not close to returning for Lightning Apr 27
- Blackhawks, Ducks try to close out series on road Apr 25
- Blackhawks, Ducks try to close out series on road Apr 24
- Red Wings follow refrain, make brief appearance in playoffs Apr 22