Panthers edge reeling Red WingsDec 8, 2013 - 6:32 AM Detroit, MI (SportsNetwork.com) - Jonathan Huberdeau netted the game winner 3:29 into the third period, as the Florida Panthers edged the Detroit Red Wings, 2-1, on Saturday at Joe Louis Arena.
Jimmy Hayes also lit the lamp and Shawn Matthias tallied a pair of assists for the Panthers, who won their second consecutive game for just the second time this season.
"We're doing the simple things and keeping our energy level high," Hayes said of the team notching back-to-back wins.
Tim Thomas turned aside 22 shots to backstop the victory.
Danny Cleary registered Detroit's lone marker, while Jonas Gustavsson allowed both goals on 37 shots for the Red Wings, who had earned at least a point in 18 straight meetings with the Panthers, going 11-0-2 with five ties since a 4-2 regulation loss in the Motor City on Dec. 1, 1996.
With the game tied 1-1 early in the third, Huberdeau made his way to the low left side and accepted a one-touch feed from Tom Gilbert before switching to his backhand and lifting the disc past Gustavsson for a 2-1 lead.
The Panthers were whistled for a pair of penalties over the final 10 minutes of the tilt, but Thomas was up to the task, stopping all nine shots he faced in the final frame to keep Florida in front.
"We're a lot better hockey team than we showed tonight," Detroit's Niklas Kronwall said. "We have to play with a lot more desperation."
Cleary opened the scoring 4:06 into the game when he pounded home a rebound from the low left side off a pad save from Thomas to make it 1-0.
The Panthers pulled even early in the second, as Matthias threw a shot on net from a sharp angle on the low left side that Gustavsson stopped, but Hayes was able to poke the disc between Gustavsson's pad and the post to knot the score at 2:59.
Detroit went 0-for-3 on the power play, while Florida failed on its two chances on the man-advantage ... Florida outshot Detroit, 17-5, in the second period ... Huberdeau's goal was his seventh of the season.
- FLORIDA: 2
Dec 7 9:29 PM
- Florida Goal - Jonathan Huberdeau (7), from Tom Gilbert and Shawn Matthias at 3:29.
Panthers 2, Red Wings 1 3rd - 16:31Dec 7 8:58 PM
- FLORIDA: 1
End of 2nd
Dec 7 8:35 PM
- Florida Goal - Jimmy Hayes (3), from Shawn Matthias and Dylan Olsen at 2:00.
Panthers 1, Red Wings 1 2nd - 18:00Dec 7 8:05 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
End of 1st
Dec 7 7:42 PM
- Detroit Goal - Daniel Alfredsson, from Daniel Cleary and Justin Abdelkader at 4:06.
Panthers 0, Red Wings 1 1st - 15:54Dec 7 7:15 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 7 7:09 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- Panthers make Tallon president, Rowe GM May 16
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Florida Panthers, Erik Gudbranson agree on 1-year deal May 9
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Trotz, Ruff, Gallant are Jack Adams Award finalists May 5
- Jaromir Jagr returning to Florida Panthers on 1-year deal May 5
- Calgary fires Bob Hartley, a season after coach of the year May 3
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30