Penguins down Red Wings, lose MalkinDec 15, 2013 - 5:09 AM
The Penguins got their third straight win, but it could cost them Malkin.
The star center had to be helped off the ice after he crashed legs-first into the boards in the third period.
Malkin was backchecking 1-on-1 against Luke Glendening while the Detroit center skated on net. As the play finished, Malkin's legs splayed and he drifted, his stomach facing down, into the end boards.
Malkin's left skate absorbed most of the impact and it looked like he wasn't putting any pressure on the leg as he was helped off the ice by two teammates. He was called for a holding penalty on the play.
"You hate to see that. It is something we've all dealt with before. You just have to hope it is not too bad. I'm sure we will know more as the week goes on," Crosby said of Malkin.
Malkin scored his ninth goal during the game and had two assists, bringing his total to 32 for the season. Crosby scored his 17th and 18th goals and Olli Maatta also found the back of the net for the Penguins, who got 28 saves from Jeff Zatkoff.
Niklas Kronwall scored for the Red Wings, who have lost four in a row. They have lost three in a row and 12 of their last 14 at home (2-6-6). Jonas Gustavsson allowed four goals on 25 shots in the loss.
"I thought after last night we played real well. Tonight, I don't think that was the case. Their special teams outplayed our special teams. They're power plays were simply chaos and their big guys were better than out big guys," said Red Wings coach Mike Babcock.
Kronwall threw a shot on net from the point that looked like it hit Crosby's stick early. The puck bounced in front of the crease and past Zatkoff for a 1-0 Detroit lead 6:09 into the game.
The Penguins quickly jumped in front with two power-play goals. Crosby was in front to stuff home a loose puck at 9:08 and Malkin, who assisted on Crosby's goal, skated into another loose puck in the low slot after a deflected pass and beat Gustavsson 3:42 later.
After Maatta's shot from the high left side ended up in the crease, Chris Kunitz reached his stick in to poke at it and was originally credited for the goal with 47 seconds left in the second period. It was later changed to Maatta's marker.
Crosby scored on a one-timer with 5:27 left in the game.
The Red Wings continue a four-game homestand Sunday against Tampa Bay ... The Penguins are home vs. the Maple Leafs on Monday.
- PITTSBURGH: 4
Dec 14 9:29 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Sidney Crosby, at 14:33.
Penguins 4, Red Wings 1 3rd - 5:27Dec 14 9:20 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 3
End of 2nd
Dec 14 8:33 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Chris Kunitz (18), from Olli Maatta and Evgeni Malkin at 19:13.
Penguins 3, Red Wings 1 2nd - 0:47Dec 14 8:32 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 2
End of 1st
Dec 14 7:44 PM
- Pittsburgh Power-Play Goal - Evgeni Malkin (9), at 12:50.
Penguins 2, Red Wings 1 1st - 7:10Dec 14 7:31 PM
- Brian Lashoff slap shot on Jeff Zatkoff.
Penguins 1, Red Wings 1 1st - 10:30Dec 14 7:25 PM
- Matt Niskanen slap shot on Jonas Gustavsson.
Penguins 0, Red Wings 1 1st - 10:53Dec 14 7:25 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Sidney Crosby, at 9:08.
Penguins 1, Red Wings 1 1st - 10:52Dec 14 7:25 PM
- Detroit Goal - Niklas Kronwall (4), from Justin Abdelkader and Daniel Alfredsson at 6:09.
Penguins 0, Red Wings 1 1st - 13:51Dec 14 7:18 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 14 7:08 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to start Game 5 May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19