Bishop stands tall as Bolts beat Wings to snap road skidDec 16, 2013 - 4:32 AM
Tyler Johnson, J.T. Brown and Alex Killorn all scored in the third period for Tampa Bay, which won away from home for the first time since Nov. 12 at Montreal.
"We've had some pretty good luck against Detroit so far this year," said Bishop. "They're a good team over there. I thought the guys did a good job eliminating second chances. I was able to see most of the pucks. We did a good job."
Petr Mrazek, making his second start of the season, stopped 24 shots in Detroit's fifth consecutive loss.
"We're not scoring as a group right now at all," said Detroit head coach Mike Babcock. "So we have to continue to check real well and not give up much. I thought it was a tight game both ways. We've got to find a way to win a game."
A turnover by Detroit in its zone led to Johnson ending the scoreless stalemate. Tomas Tatar gave the puck away and the Lightning capitalized in transition, with Ondrej Palat feeding Johnson in the slot for a one-timer at the 3:13 mark of the final frame.
Brown doubled the advantage when he went to the crease and tapped in Nate Thompson's pass behind Mrazek at 9:16.
With 7:43 remaining, Palat was whistled for hooking, but Detroit failed to break through on its third power play.
Killorn was awarded an empty-net goal with 1:15 to play.
The Lightning have won consecutive games against the Red Wings in Detroit for the first time in franchise history. They improved to 3-13-1 all-time at Detroit ... Tampa Bay posted its first regulation win over the Red Wings since a 1-0 home whitewashing on Jan. 7, 2003 ... Detroit has lost all three meetings this season ... The Red Wings fell to 2-7-6 in their last 15 games at Joe Louis Arena ... Detroit forward Tomas Jurco made his NHL debut.
- TAMPA BAY: 3
Dec 15 7:32 PM
- Tampa Bay Empty Net Goal - Teddy Purcell (8), from Alex Killorn and Valtteri Filppula at 18:45.
Lightning 3, Red Wings 0 3rd - 1:15Dec 15 7:30 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - J.T. Brown (2), at 9:16.
Lightning 2, Red Wings 0 3rd - 10:44Dec 15 7:09 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Tyler Johnson (8), from Teddy Purcell and Ondrej Palat at 3:13.
Lightning 1, Red Wings 0 3rd - 16:47Dec 15 6:59 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
End of 2nd
Dec 15 6:34 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
End of 1st
Dec 15 5:37 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 15 5:08 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17