Flyers blank Red WingsJan 29, 2014 - 4:08 AM
Scott Hartnell had two goals and an assist, Claude Giroux gave a goal and two assists while Sean Couturier and Adam Hall also scored for the Flyers, who came into the game having dropped four straight and seven of nine.
"I think we cleaned a lot of those mistakes and took them out of our game," said Mason. "There are still some little mistakes but it's a lot better, and we can build on that."
Philadelphia continued its home mastery of Detroit, winning its eighth straight against the Red Wings in front of the home crowd, having last lost on Jan. 25, 1997.
Jonas Gustavsson stopped 23 shots for the Red Wings, who have dropped their past two games.
"Well, I thought we did a lot of good things early," said Detroit head coach Mike Babcock. "I thought we were in it, then too many self-inflicted wounds. We've got to be ultra-hardworking. We didn't have enough details tonight with or without the puck."
Philly took the lead at 13:42 of the first on the power play, as a slap shot from Kimmo Timonen in the high slot was redirected into the net by Hartnell.
It was Hartnell again for a 2-0 lead, as Giroux skated down the right wing and fed the puck over to the left where Hartnell snapped it in for his 14th of the season at 8:08 of the second period.
Just under three minutes later, the Flyers made it a 3-0 game as Michael Raffl's shot from the left point hit Hall, who was able to find the loose puck and pop in a backhander for his third of the year.
Giroux gave his team a 4-0 advantage midway through the third as his heavy wrister from the left circle knicked off the glove of Gustavsson and in.
Couturier scored on a wraparound from the right side with 3:51 to play to account for the final score.
Philadelphia heads out west for games in Anaheim, Los Angeles and San Jose starting on Thursday ... Detroit hosts Washington on Friday to start a home- and-home set ... The Flyers took two of three from the Red Wings this season ... Mason has 21 shutouts in his career.
- DETROIT: 0
Jan 28 9:33 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Sean Couturier (9), at 16:09.
Red Wings 0, Flyers 5 3rd - 3:51Jan 28 9:25 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Claude Giroux (16), at 10:22.
Red Wings 0, Flyers 4 3rd - 9:38Jan 28 9:13 PM
- DETROIT: 0
End of 2nd
Jan 28 8:36 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Adam Hall (3), at 11:02.
Red Wings 0, Flyers 3 2nd - 8:58Jan 28 8:18 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Scott Hartnell (14), at 8:08.
Red Wings 0, Flyers 2 2nd - 11:52Jan 28 8:14 PM
- DETROIT: 0
2nd Period - 20:00
Jan 28 8:01 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- 'The Goldbergs' creator talks love affair with Flyers May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 29
- New home of Detroit Red Wings to be Little Caesars Arena Apr 28
- Stamkos skates, but not close to returning for Lightning Apr 27
- Flyers F Schenn suspended for 3 games for charging Apr 26
- Capitals' Orpik could be difference-maker vs. Penguins Apr 26