Lightning score two late goals to edge Red WingsFeb 9, 2014 - 6:16 AM
Ondrej Palat had two goals while Tom Pyatt added a goal and an assist for the Lightning, who had dropped four of five coming in. Ben Bishop allowed two goals on 33 shots in the win.
"We've been getting some big minutes for a lot of different guys lately and it really helps us a lot," said Tampa Bay head coach Jon Cooper. "It's nice to get this win going into the break."
Daniel Alfredsson and Tomas Jurco each scored for the Red Wings, who had won their previous two coming in. Jimmy Howard stopped 24-of-27 shots in defeat.
"We didn't have everybody being good enough here tonight in my opinion," Detroit head coach Mike Babcock said. "On the back end, we made too many mistakes."
With the score tied, Pyatt fired a pass from the right boards that tipped off Teddy Purcell in front and went to Killorn, who slammed it in for a 3-2 lead.
Nikita Kucherov was given a penalty shot with 1:36 to play when he was wrapped up by Brian Lashoff on a breakaway, but Howard stopped the backhand.
It didn't matter, though, as Palat scored into the open net with 1:03 to play to seal the win.
Detroit scored at 17:18 of the first period on an Alfredsson one-timer from the right circle, but the Lightning tied the game at 1:44 of the second on the power play as Palat knocked in his own rebound in front.
Jurco and Pyatt exchanged goals at 11:19 and 17:14 of the second to send the game into the third period tied at 2-2.
Detroit plays in Montreal when it resumes play on Feb. 26 ... Tampa plays in Nashville on Feb. 27 ... Tampa Bay has won all four matchups with Detroit this season ... The Lightning were 1-for-2 on the power play while the Red Wings went 0-for-3 ... Sami Salo had two assists for Tampa.
- DETROIT: 2
TAMPA BAY: 4
Feb 8 9:37 PM
- Tampa Bay Empty Net Goal - Ondrej Palat (14), at 18:57.
Red Wings 2, Lightning 4 3rd - 1:03Feb 8 9:33 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Alex Killorn (14), at 16:49.
Red Wings 2, Lightning 3 3rd - 3:11Feb 8 9:28 PM
- DETROIT: 2
TAMPA BAY: 2
End of 2nd
Feb 8 8:41 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Tom Pyatt, from Sami Salo at 17:14.
Red Wings 2, Lightning 2 2nd - 2:46Feb 8 8:35 PM
- Detroit Goal - Tomas Jurco (3), at 11:19.
Red Wings 2, Lightning 1 2nd - 8:41Feb 8 8:21 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Ondrej Palat, at 1:44.
Red Wings 1, Lightning 1 2nd - 18:16Feb 8 8:04 PM
- DETROIT: 1
TAMPA BAY: 0
End of 1st
Feb 8 7:44 PM
- Detroit Goal - Daniel Alfredsson (14), at 17:18.
Red Wings 1, Lightning 0 1st - 2:42Feb 8 7:39 PM
- DETROIT: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 8 7:09 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17