Red Wings kick offense into high gear, rip DevilsMar 8, 2014 - 6:17 AM
Gustav Nyquist posted a goal and three assists and David Legwand had a goal and two assists for the Red Wings, who halted a two-game skid. Jonas Gustavsson made 21 stops in the win.
"The guys kept putting in all their chances they were getting and that gave us a lot of energy," said Gustavsson. "It's not every night you score seven goals, but it was fun for the crowd."
Adam Henrique scored twice while Patrik Elias and Jaromir Jagr also scored for the Devils, who had won three of four coming in. Cory Schneider gave up all seven goals on 32 shots.
"We got up for a bit and battled back, but they were opportunistic and we didn't do enough to win the game, that's the bottom line," said New Jersey head coach Peter DeBoer.
Detroit took a 2-0 lead at 5:34 of the second as Franzen tipped in a shot from Nyquist, but New Jersey exploded for three goals over a 2:19 span later in the period to grab the lead.
The first goal came shorthanded as Elias stole the puck in his own zone and skated down the ice before blasting a big shot past Gustavsson at 9:23.
Less than a minute later, it was a tie game as Jagr bulled his way through two defenders and drew the puck back for a wrister into the net for his 701st career goal.
The Devils then took a 3-2 lead at 11:44 when Henrique slammed in his own rebound for his 20th of the season.
Detroit, though, tied the game two minutes later on the power play courtesy of a one-timer from Franzen, and it was a 4-3 game just over a minute later as Nyquist cut through the middle and threw it in through a crowd for his 16th of the season.
Kyle Quincey's one-timer from the slot off a slick backhand feed by Legwand gave the Red Wings a 5-3 lead with 2:59 left in the second period.
Detroit got an extra marker at 4:48 of the third when Franzen's wrister from the slot was stopped, but Legwand was there to tuck in the rebound for his 11th of the year and first with the team.
Drew Miller scored at 12:52 of the third, while Henrique's second of the game came with 1:18 to play to cap the scoring in the contest.
The only goal of the first period went to Detroit, as Brendan Smith's one- timer from the high slot beat Schneider at 13:43.
Detroit plays in New York against the Rangers on Sunday ... New Jersey hosts Carolina on Saturday ... Detroit has taken two of three from New Jersey this season ... It was a season-high in goals for for Detroit, and tied a season high in goals allowed for New Jersey ... Detroit went 1-for-3 on the power play, while New Jersey was 0-for-3 ... Detroit had 11 players register at least one point.
- NEW JERSEY: 4
Mar 7 10:06 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Adam Henrique, at 18:42.
Devils 4, Red Wings 7 3rd - 1:18Mar 7 10:03 PM
- Detroit Goal - Drew Miller (7), from Todd Bertuzzi and Joakim Andersson at 12:52.
Devils 3, Red Wings 7 3rd - 7:08Mar 7 9:53 PM
- Detroit Goal - David Legwand (11), from Johan Franzen at 4:48.
Devils 3, Red Wings 6 3rd - 15:12Mar 7 9:37 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 3
End of 2nd
Mar 7 9:11 PM
- Detroit Goal - Kyle Quincey (4), at 17:01.
Devils 3, Red Wings 5 2nd - 2:59Mar 7 9:07 PM
- Detroit Goal - Gustav Nyquist (16), from David Legwand and Jonathan Ericsson at 15:05.
Devils 3, Red Wings 4 2nd - 4:55Mar 7 9:03 PM
- Detroit Power-Play Goal - Johan Franzen (15), at 13:47.
Devils 3, Red Wings 3 2nd - 6:13Mar 7 8:59 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Adam Henrique (20), at 11:44.
Devils 3, Red Wings 2 2nd - 8:16Mar 7 8:55 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Jaromir Jagr (20), from Marek Zidlicky at 10:20.
Devils 2, Red Wings 2 2nd - 9:40Mar 7 8:50 PM
- New Jersey Short-Handed Goal - Patrik Elias (14), at 9:23.
Devils 1, Red Wings 2 2nd - 10:37Mar 7 8:48 PM
- Detroit Goal - Gustav Nyquist, at 5:34.
Devils 0, Red Wings 2 2nd - 14:26Mar 7 8:39 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
End of 1st
Mar 7 8:12 PM
- Detroit Goal - Brendan Smith (3), at 13:43.
Devils 0, Red Wings 1 1st - 6:17Mar 7 8:01 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 7 7:38 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- US beats Czechs at worlds to set up semifinal with May 19
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Devils' Patrik Elias, Cory Schneider both undergo surgery May 12
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 29
- New home of Detroit Red Wings to be Little Caesars Arena Apr 28