Bolland scores in OT as Leafs down OilersOct 13, 2013 - 4:57 AM
Toronto came up with a loose puck after Cody Franson stole the puck from Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and broke down the ice on a 3-on-1 advantage. Franson and Mason Raymond slid the puck back and forth before the former unleashed a wrister, which caromed to a streaking Bolland, who slapped it home for the game- winner.
Joffrey Lupul scored a pair of goals for the Leafs, including the game-tying goal late in regulation. James van Riemsdyk also lit the lamp twice while Nazem Kadri recorded a goal and an assist. Franson, Raymond and Dion Phaneuf all had two assists in the triumph, Toronto's second straight.
Jonathan Bernier stopped 26 shots to earn the victory.
"It was a crazy game," said Bernier. "As a goalie you're pretty happy when guys are battling hard. The main thing is we got two points."
Ryan Smyth scored twice, Nugent-Hopkins, Boyd Gordon and Jordan Eberle all scored a goal and Mark Arcobello had three assists as Edmonton fell for a fourth time in five games this season.
Devan Dubnyk struggled between the pipes, allowing all six goals on 26 shots.
"I'm sure Randy (Carlyle) and I have got a few extra gray hairs from that one," said Edmonton head coach Dallas Eakins. "I thought our guys played hard."
Lupul netted his second goal of the game to force overtime with 31 seconds left in regulation when he received a pass from Jake Gardiner and snuck a wrister under the right leg of Dubnyk.
"It just shows, we've never out of a game," said Lupul. "We know that we can score goals. We've shown that time and time again. Ideally we'd like to maybe get the lead and keep it for a bit, but two points is two points."
Both teams scored twice in an eventful opening 20 minutes. Smyth got things started for Edmonton 5:21 into the contest when Bernier was caught out of position behind his own net. Smyth fired a shot from the right wing that slid under the sliding goaltender.
Kadri knotted the score with a difficult angled shot from the left side, which beat Dubnyk glove side and snuck under the crossbar. Van Riemsdyk deflected in a Franson shot minutes later for the go-ahead goal.
With less than two minutes remaining in the first, Edmonton took advantage of a 5-on-3 power-play when Nugent-Hopkins wristed a shot past Bernier.
A minute into the second period, Gordon found himself alone in front of the net to tap in a David Perron pass from behind the net. Lupul tied the score once again at the 5:20 mark, slapping home a no-look pass by Kadri.
Taylor Hall blocked Franson's shot from the point early in the third which led to Edmonton's fourth goal. Arcobello led a 2-on-1 and executed perfectly, passing to Eberle in stride. Eberle did the rest, netting his first of the season.
Another van Riemsdyk goal, a wrap-around from Tyler Bozak, made it a 4-4 affair with 10:05 left in regulation. Smyth helped the Oilers regain the lead moments later when he charged towards goal and tapped in a feed from Eberle.
Edmonton won 36-of-60 face-offs ... Perron picked up two of the Oilers' three penalties, both minors ... Edmonton continues its six-game road trip with a matchup at Washington on Monday, while Toronto hosts Minnesota Tuesday.
- EDMONTON: 5
Final - OT
Oct 12 9:51 PM
- Toronto Goal - Dave Bolland (3), from Cody Franson and Mason Raymond at 2:09.
Oilers 5, Maple Leafs 6 OT - 2:51Oct 12 9:50 PM
- EDMONTON: 5
End of Regulation
Oct 12 9:47 PM
- Toronto Goal - Joffrey Lupul (5), from Jake Gardiner at 19:28.
Oilers 5, Maple Leafs 5 3rd - 0:32Oct 12 9:43 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Ryan Smyth (3), at 11:27.
Oilers 5, Maple Leafs 4 3rd - 8:33Oct 12 9:24 PM
- Toronto Goal - James van Riemsdyk (5), from Tyler Bozak and Phil Kessel at 9:55.
Oilers 4, Maple Leafs 4 3rd - 10:05Oct 12 9:20 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Jordan Eberle, at 5:29.
Oilers 4, Maple Leafs 3 3rd - 14:31Oct 12 9:12 PM
- EDMONTON: 3
End of 2nd
Oct 12 8:46 PM
- Toronto Goal - Joffrey Lupul (4), from Nazem Kadri and David Broll at 5:20.
Oilers 3, Maple Leafs 3 2nd - 14:40Oct 12 8:20 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Boyd Gordon, at 1:02.
Oilers 3, Maple Leafs 2 2nd - 18:58Oct 12 8:14 PM
- EDMONTON: 2
End of 1st
Oct 12 7:54 PM
- Edmonton Power-Play Goal - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (2), from Justin Schultz and Anton Belov at 18:10.
Oilers 2, Maple Leafs 2 1st - 1:50Oct 12 7:54 PM
- Toronto Power-Play Goal - James van Riemsdyk (4), from Dion Phaneuf and Cody Franson at 15:25.
Oilers 1, Maple Leafs 2 1st - 4:35Oct 12 7:43 PM
- Toronto Goal - Nazem Kadri (2), at 9:47.
Oilers 1, Maple Leafs 1 1st - 10:13Oct 12 7:32 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Ryan Smyth (2), at 5:21.
Oilers 1, Maple Leafs 0 1st - 14:39Oct 12 7:24 PM
- EDMONTON: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Oct 12 7:17 PM
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- Cup final awaits either playoff-starved Blues or Sharks May 14
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Blackhawks agree to 3-year deal with D Gustav Forsling May 11
- NHL, Oilers, Flames each donating $100,000 to Fort McMurray May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Maple Leafs sign Kadri, Rielly to 6-year deals Apr 13