Oilers rally past Canadiens to close out road swingOct 23, 2013 - 3:07 AM
Edmonton lost the first four games of its six-game road trip but won the final two despite falling behind by two goals in the first period Tuesday.
Ryan Jones, Ales Hemsky and Ladislav Smid all scored for the Oilers, while Devan Dubnyk made 29 saves to pick up the win.
Carey Price gave up all four goals on 32 shots as the Canadiens lost their second straight on the heels of a four-game winning streak.
The Oilers dropped a 4-1 decision to Montreal on Oct. 10 and appeared on their way to another setback when Tomas Plekanec and Brendan Gallagher staked the Habs to a 2-0 cushion.
But Hemsky halved Edmonton's deficit on a wrist shot in the slot with 7:10 to go in the second period, and Smid tied it by burying a long rebound at the 15:37 mark. It was Smid's first goal since Mar. 30, 2013 against Vancouver.
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins set up the go-ahead goal 7:59 into the third period as he drew a defender into the circle on a 2-on-1, stopped on a dime and dished to Petry in the middle for a one-timer.
Jones, who committed a bad turnover earlier in the game, banged home a loose puck near the midway point, which proved to be the game-winner when Brian Gionta scored with 1.4 seconds left.
"After the first period, we realized we had to pick up our game," Nugent- Hopkins said. "We responded really well and came out on top."
Montreal cashed in on its second man-advantage of the opening period just six seconds after Luke Gazdic was sent off for tripping. After a faceoff win in the offensive end, Andrei Markov sent a pass from the blue line down to the right circle, where Plekanec shot low and beat Dubnyk with 3:24 on the clock.
Gallagher single-handedly made it 2-0 just 1:27 later. The 21-year-old forward intercepted Jones' poor cross-ice pass at the blue line and went top shelf for his fifth goal of the season.
"We played well in the first period and followed the game plan...but then we didn't follow the game plan the next two periods," Canadiens head coach Michel Therrien said. "We opened the door, and they took advantage of it."
Former Oilers and Habs defenseman Roman Hamrlik was in attendance, one day after announcing his retirement ... Nugent-Hopkins, Jordan Eberle and rookie Mark Arcobello each had two assists for Edmonton. Arcobello has 10 assists in 10 games ... The Oilers have won three straight in Montreal.
- EDMONTON: 4
Oct 22 10:29 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Ryan Jones, at 9:57.
Oilers 4, Canadiens 2 3rd - 10:03Oct 22 9:53 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Jeff Petry (2), from Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Jordan Eberle at 7:59.
Oilers 3, Canadiens 2 3rd - 12:01Oct 22 9:48 PM
- EDMONTON: 2
End of 2nd
Oct 22 9:15 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Ladislav Smid, at 15:37.
Oilers 2, Canadiens 2 2nd - 4:23Oct 22 9:04 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Ales Hemsky (3), at 12:50.
Oilers 1, Canadiens 2 2nd - 7:10Oct 22 8:59 PM
- EDMONTON: 0
End of 1st
Oct 22 8:18 PM
- David Desharnais wrist shot on Devan Dubnyk.
Oilers 0, Canadiens 2 1st - 0:51Oct 22 8:17 PM
- Brendan Gallagher wrist shot on Devan Dubnyk.
Oilers 0, Canadiens 1 1st - 1:57Oct 22 8:14 PM
- Montreal Goal - Brendan Gallagher (5), at 18:03.
Oilers 0, Canadiens 2 1st - 1:57Oct 22 8:14 PM
- Montreal Power-Play Goal - Tomas Plekanec (4), at 16:36.
Oilers 0, Canadiens 1 1st - 3:24Oct 22 8:11 PM
- EDMONTON: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Oct 22 7:41 PM
- US quarterfinal spot in doubt at worlds after Germany defeat May 15
- Cup final awaits either playoff-starved Blues or Sharks May 14
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Blackhawks agree to 3-year deal with D Gustav Forsling May 11
- Canadiens sign forward Artturi Lehkonen to 3-year contract May 8
- NHL, Oilers, Flames each donating $100,000 to Fort McMurray May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Former Canadiens coach Jacques Demers improving after stroke Apr 15
- Fighting the bear: John Scott demonstrates a hockey fight Apr 14