Stamkos hot streak powers Lightning past OilersNov 8, 2013 - 6:12 AM
Stamkos' 12th and 13th markers of the season supported a 38-save performance by Ben Bishop that helped the Lightning to a third straight win and sixth triumph in seven outings. The All-Star center is riding a five-game goal scoring streak and has recorded a point in seven consecutive contests.
"I'm not very happy with the way we played tonight. If it weren't for (Bishop) we don't win that game. We'll take it, it is tough to win in this game. You can't expect to win in the long run if we play that way," Stamkos said.
Tyler Johnson and Valtteri Filppula also had goals for Tampa Bay, which improved to 7-2-0 at home as well.
Taylor Hall returned from a knee injury to register one of Edmonton's two tallies, with Taylor Fedun accounting for the other. Devan Dubnyk stopped 22- of-25 shots in the loss, the Oilers sixth in seven games.
Both of Stamkos' goals came off Edmonton turnovers in the Oilers' zone during the opening period.
Nail Yakupov was knocked off the puck by the Lightning's Alex Killorn with the game still scoreless, with Stamkos retrieving the loose disc and firing a wrister past the stick side of Dubnyk 7:37 into the contest.
Stamkos forced a giveaway on his own late in the period, then skated behind the Edmonton net and put a wraparound try through the 5-hole of Dubnyk 53 seconds prior to the intermission for a 2-1 Tampa edge.
In between, Fedun rifled home a pass from Jordan Eberle near the midway mark of the frame to get the Oilers on the board. It was the rookie defenseman's second goal in as many NHL games.
"They did a great job collapsing down, but they left a spot open in the slot and I was just able to rifle it home," said Fedun.
Bishop made the lead stand by turning aside all 16 shots he faced in the second period, including a breakaway attempt from Hall, and Johnson made it a two-goal differential 1:27 before the close of the session.
Taking in a well-placed feed from Richard Panik, Johnson found an opening from the slot to put the Lightning on top by a 3-1 count.
Hall managed to close the gap with Edmonton on a power play just past the midway mark of the third period. Stationed in the right circle, the former No. 1 overall pick rocketed a wicked wrist shot that landed just under the crossbar.
Dubnyk was pulled with a little over 1 1/2 minutes left, but Filppula beat an Edmonton defender to a puck sent to the boards in the neutral zone and flung it down the ice into the open net to seal the victory.
Hall had missed the Oilers' last seven games after injuring his knee at Ottawa on Oct. 19 ... Jordan Eberle assisted on both Edmonton goals ... Stamkos has eight goals and four assists during his point streak ... Hall's power play goal was only the Oilers' third in their last 12 games with the man advantage ... The Lightning are now 6-0 against Western Conference opponents this season and 8-1-0 when scoring the game's first goal ... Edmonton defenseman Anton Belov sat out a second straight contest with a lower-body injury.
- EDMONTON: 2
TAMPA BAY: 4
Nov 7 10:01 PM
- Tampa Bay Empty Net Goal - Valtteri Filppula (6), from Teddy Purcell at 18:55.
Oilers 2, Lightning 4 3rd - 1:05Nov 7 9:57 PM
- Edmonton Power-Play Goal - Taylor Hall (4), at 10:22.
Oilers 2, Lightning 3 3rd - 9:38Nov 7 9:43 PM
- EDMONTON: 1
TAMPA BAY: 3
End of 2nd
Nov 7 9:07 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Tyler Johnson (4), from Richard Panik and Radko Gudas at 18:33.
Oilers 1, Lightning 3 2nd - 1:27Nov 7 9:05 PM
- EDMONTON: 1
TAMPA BAY: 2
End of 1st
Nov 7 8:17 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Steven Stamkos (13), at 19:07.
Oilers 1, Lightning 2 1st - 0:53Nov 7 8:15 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Taylor Fedun, from Jordan Eberle at 10:11.
Oilers 1, Lightning 1 1st - 9:49Nov 7 7:59 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Steven Stamkos (12), at 7:37.
Oilers 0, Lightning 1 1st - 12:23Nov 7 7:54 PM
- EDMONTON: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 7 7:42 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Confident Lightning feel Penguins haven't see their best May 18
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17