Giroux ends goal drought as Flyers slide past OilersNov 9, 2013 - 9:57 PM
Scott Hartnell, Vincent Lecavalier and Jay Rosehill had the other goals for the Flyers, who scored more than twice in a game for only the second time this season.
Steve Mason made 24 saves as Philadelphia snapped a three-game losing streak at home and picked up just its fifth win of the season.
Devan Dubnyk allowed four goals on 34 shots for Edmonton, which has lost seven of eight.
Giroux snapped his drought during 4-on-4 action at the 11:26 mark of the third period, a little more than three minutes after the Flyers captain absorbed what looked to be a clean, shoulder-to-shoulder hit from Edmonton defenseman Anton Belov. The officials saw the play differently, however, and assessed Belov a match penalty for making contact with Giroux's head.
"I think, if you watch the replay, it's pretty obvious that he didn't clip his head, but that's just the way it goes sometimes," Edmonton forward Taylor Hall said about the Belov penalty.
The incident occurred one second before eight minutes elapsed in the frame.
Wayne Simmonds went off for cross-checking during the lengthy power play and with both teams down a skater, Giroux fired home a wrist shot from the left circle to put Philadelphia up 3-1.
"It's been a couple months now and it's been tough, but getting that one got a lot of weight off," Giroux said.
Hall jumped on a loose puck down low and beat Mason with 6:35 remaining, but Lecavalier scored 3:08 later while positioned on the goal line to Dubnyk's left just after a power play expired.
The Flyers jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first period, with Mark Streit's pinpoint passing setting up both goals. Rosehill was in the slot and directed in the defenseman's pass from the point at 11:56 and Hartnell ripped a shot off a feed from the side boards past Dubnyk with 2:44 to go.
Edmonton got on the board late in the second period. While killing a penalty, Giroux turned the puck over in the defensive zone, resulting in Ales Hemsky, from behind the net, feeding David Perron for a one-timer with 1:35 remaining.
Perron had missed the previous four games, the first because of an illness and the last three due to a neck injury.
Philadelphia scored a season-high five goals in win at the New York Islanders on Oct. 26 ... Rosehill's goal snapped the Flyers' scoreless streak on home ice at 175:22, a new franchise record ... Philadelphia killed 14 consecutive power plays before Perron scored ... Giroux's last goal came on Apr. 15 in Montreal, and his drought stretched for 21 games ... The Flyers beat Edmonton for just the second time since the 2001-02 season (2-7-0 with a tie) ... Oilers Forward Jesse Joensuu returned to the lineup after a back injury sidelined him for 11 games.
- EDMONTON: 2
Nov 9 3:45 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Vincent Lecavalier (6), at 16:33.
Oilers 2, Flyers 4 3rd - 3:27Nov 9 3:39 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Taylor Hall (5), at 13:25.
Oilers 2, Flyers 3 3rd - 6:35Nov 9 3:32 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Claude Giroux, from Jakub Voracek at 11:26.
Oilers 1, Flyers 3 3rd - 8:34Nov 9 3:27 PM
- EDMONTON: 1
End of 2nd
Nov 9 2:43 PM
- Edmonton Power-Play Goal - David Perron (3), at 18:25.
Oilers 1, Flyers 2 2nd - 1:35Nov 9 2:41 PM
- EDMONTON: 0
End of 1st
Nov 9 1:44 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Scott Hartnell (2), at 17:16.
Oilers 0, Flyers 2 1st - 2:44Nov 9 1:37 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Jay Rosehill, at 11:56.
Oilers 0, Flyers 1 1st - 8:04Nov 9 1:28 PM
- EDMONTON: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 9 1:09 PM
- Cup final awaits either playoff-starved Blues or Sharks May 14
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Blackhawks agree to 3-year deal with D Gustav Forsling May 11
- 'The Goldbergs' creator talks love affair with Flyers May 10
- NHL, Oilers, Flames each donating $100,000 to Fort McMurray May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Flyers F Schenn suspended for 3 games for charging Apr 26
- Capitals' Orpik could be difference-maker vs. Penguins Apr 26
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Capitals set for rare postseason rematch against Penguins Apr 25
- NHL Playoff Capsules Apr 24