Eberle nets two as Oilers top PanthersNov 22, 2013 - 6:49 AM
Jordan Eberle scored twice, while David Perron and Sam Gagner each scored for the Oilers, who won their season-high third in a row. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins had three assists in the win.
"Our confidence is high, we want to keep that going but also understand that we have higher aspirations than the game that we played today," said Edmonton head coach Dallas Eakins. "We can play better than we played today."
Scottie Upshall had the lone goal for the Panthers, who had won three of four coming in. Tim Thomas allowed three goals on 34 shots in the loss.
"The key was the energy. We didn't have any. That's the key," said Florida head coach Peter Horachek. "If your energy is better, if you come out with a workman attitude, I think that everything improves."
Edmonton wasted no time going on top, scoring a power-play goal 57 seconds in thanks to Eberle's tap-in of a rebound from the left side of the net.
The score stayed that way until 6:10 of the second period, when the Oilers made it a 2-0 game after Nail Yakupov sent a pass from the left wing to the right where Gagner wristed it home for his first of the season.
Skating on the power play, Edmonton made it a 3-0 game thanks to Perron's one- timer from the left circle that made it past Thomas' glove at 10:54.
Upshall scored on a snap shot with 3:26 to play in the middle stanza to make it a 3-1 game going into the third.
Dubnyk needed to make just six stops in the third, and Eberle sealed the win on an empty-netter with 1:11 to play.
Edmonton hosts Chicago on Monday ... Florida plays in Calgary on Friday ... Edmonton has won five straight and nine of 10 over Florida ... Edmonton went 2-for-5 on the power play, while Florida was 0-for-5.
- FLORIDA: 1
Nov 22 12:01 AM
- Edmonton Empty Net Goal - Jordan Eberle, at 18:48.
Panthers 1, Oilers 4 3rd - 1:12Nov 21 11:58 PM
- FLORIDA: 1
End of 2nd
Nov 21 11:07 PM
- Florida Goal - Scottie Upshall, at 16:34.
Panthers 1, Oilers 3 2nd - 3:26Nov 21 11:02 PM
- Edmonton Power-Play Goal - David Perron (8), at 10:54.
Panthers 0, Oilers 3 2nd - 9:06Nov 21 10:49 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Sam Gagner, at 6:10.
Panthers 0, Oilers 2 2nd - 13:50Nov 21 10:40 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
End of 1st
Nov 21 10:14 PM
- Dmitry Kulikov wrist shot on Devan Dubnyk.
Panthers 0, Oilers 1 1st - 13:19Nov 21 9:53 PM
- Ryan Nugent-Hopkins wrist shot on Tim Thomas.
Panthers 0, Oilers 0 1st - 19:04Nov 21 9:50 PM
- Edmonton Power-Play Goal - Jordan Eberle (7), at :56.
Panthers 0, Oilers 1 1st - 19:04Nov 21 9:41 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 21 9:38 PM
- Panthers make Tallon president, Rowe GM May 16
- Cup final awaits either playoff-starved Blues or Sharks May 14
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Blackhawks agree to 3-year deal with D Gustav Forsling May 11
- Florida Panthers, Erik Gudbranson agree on 1-year deal May 9
- Trotz, Ruff, Gallant are Jack Adams Award finalists May 5
- NHL, Oilers, Flames each donating $100,000 to Fort McMurray May 5
- Jaromir Jagr returning to Florida Panthers on 1-year deal May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Calgary fires Bob Hartley, a season after coach of the year May 3
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1