Flyers win shootout over Oilers, former goaltender BryzgalovDec 29, 2013 - 7:49 AM
After Sam Gagner missed the net on a backhand attempt, Raffl skated down and out to the left, out-waiting Bryzgalov before throwing the puck in under the crossbar for the win.
"I didn't really expect to be sent out there," Raffl said. "I really enjoyed it."
It was the first time Philly had faced Bryzgalov since releasing him over the summer. He had signed an 8-year, $51 million deal with the team prior to the start of the 2011 season, but inconsistent play along with behavior issues saw the team buy out the final six years of his deal.
He signed a one-year deal with Edmonton in November, and was making his ninth appearance on the season.
Wayne Simmonds scored twice while Scott Hartnell added a goal and an assist for the Flyers, who snapped a six-game losing streak as the guests. Steve Mason made 13 saves in the win.
Taylor Hall had a goal and an assist while David Perron and Ryan Nugent- Hopkins each scored for the Oilers, who had won their previous two. Bryzgalov made 35 stops in defeat.
"I think we battled through and tried our best," Bryzgalov said. "It was great to get the point."
It took all of 32 seconds for the Oilers to score, as Hall stripped Braydon Coburn of the puck and snapped a quick shot on net from the low right circle over the right shoulder of Mason.
Less than four minutes later, it was a 2-0 lead for Edmonton as Nugent-Hopkins skated in down the right point and made a nifty move to get around Mark Streit and wristed the puck home.
Philly got a goal back on the power play at 3:37 of the second period when Claude Giroux sent a pass from the right circle to the left where Simmonds one-timed it past Bryzgalov.
The Flyers then tied the game at 12:13 of the second again on the power play. Hartnell sent the disc from the slot to the low right side where Jakub Voracek sent it the other way and Simmonds redirected it in.
Edmonton took a 3-2 lead at 11:52 of the third with a power-play goal of its own as Perron tried the pass the puck from the low left side, but it went off of Nicklas Grossman and slid past Mason.
Skating 5-on-3, though, the Flyers tied the game with 5:32 to play in the third as Kimmo Timonen blasted a one-timer from the left point that Hartnell redirected in.
Mason made the lead stand up and send the game to overtime when he stopped Perron on a clean breakaway with just over two minutes to play.
Edmonton plays in Phoenix on Tuesday ... Philadelphia plays in Vancouver on Monday ... Philly has won three of the last four against Edmonton ... The Flyers were 3-for-5 on the power play while the Oilers finished the game 1- for-5.
- PHILADELPHIA: 4
Final - 2OT
Dec 29 1:03 AM
- PHILADELPHIA: 3
End of OT
Dec 29 12:50 AM
- PHILADELPHIA: 3
End of Regulation
Dec 29 12:41 AM
- Philadelphia Power-Play Goal - Scott Hartnell (7), from Kimmo Timonen and Claude Giroux at 14:28.
Flyers 3, Oilers 3 3rd - 5:32Dec 29 12:30 AM
- Edmonton Power-Play Goal - David Perron (16), from Jordan Eberle and Justin Schultz at 11:52.
Flyers 2, Oilers 3 3rd - 8:08Dec 29 12:24 AM
- PHILADELPHIA: 2
End of 2nd
Dec 28 11:44 PM
- Martin Marincin shot blocked by Nicklas Grossmann.
Flyers 2, Oilers 2 2nd - 3:24Dec 28 11:41 PM
- Wayne Simmonds shot on Ilya Bryzgalov.
Flyers 1, Oilers 2 2nd - 7:56Dec 28 11:35 PM
- Philadelphia Power-Play Goal - Wayne Simmonds (12), from Jakub Voracek at 12:13.
Flyers 2, Oilers 2 2nd - 7:47Dec 28 11:28 PM
- Philadelphia Power-Play Goal - Claude Giroux (11), at 3:37.
Flyers 1, Oilers 2 2nd - 16:23Dec 28 11:11 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
End of 1st
Dec 28 10:47 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (10), at 4:02.
Flyers 0, Oilers 2 1st - 15:58Dec 28 10:16 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Taylor Hall, at :32.
Flyers 0, Oilers 1 1st - 19:28Dec 28 10:12 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 28 10:11 PM
- Cup final awaits either playoff-starved Blues or Sharks May 14
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Blackhawks agree to 3-year deal with D Gustav Forsling May 11
- 'The Goldbergs' creator talks love affair with Flyers May 10
- NHL, Oilers, Flames each donating $100,000 to Fort McMurray May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Flyers F Schenn suspended for 3 games for charging Apr 26
- Capitals' Orpik could be difference-maker vs. Penguins Apr 26
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Capitals set for rare postseason rematch against Penguins Apr 25
- NHL Playoff Capsules Apr 24