Blues down Oilers for 6th straight winJan 8, 2014 - 5:38 AM
Chris Stewart, Maxim Lapierre, Vladimir Tarasenko and Patrik Berglund also scored for the Blues, winners in six straight. Brian Elliot made 16 saves in the win.
Nail Yakupov and Mark Arcobello scored one goal apiece for the Oilers, losers in five of their last six games. Ilya Bryzgalov allowed four goals on 29 shots in the loss.
Stewart's power-play goal at 12:46 of the first period have the Blues a 1-0 lead. Stewart weaved through defenders and had an open look, but was turned away by Bryzgalov. Derek Roy, though, found Stewart at the point and he unleashed a slapshot for his fourth goal in two games against Edmonton.
Yakupov scored 1:36 into the second period when his snap shot from the left circle eluded traffic and found the back of the net.
Lapierre put the Blues back in front with his wrister just 42 seconds later. Lapierre corralled the puck in the corner and drove to the net and beat Bryzgalov for the 2-1 edge.
Arcobello's fourth goal of the season knotted things up at 2-2 when he blasted a wrister into the back of the net at the 5:10 mark.
Backes' marker at 10:56 gave St. Louis the lead for good. Backes took a pass at the left circle and was able to thread a shot past Bryzgalov.
Taresnko blasted a shot off the draw to make it 4-2, and Berglund scored on an empty net in the third for the final margin.
The Blues improved to 20-0-2 when leading after two periods ... St. Louis scored five goals for the 13th time this season ... Edmonton fell to 2-23-1 when trailing after two periods.
- ST. LOUIS: 5
Jan 8 12:04 AM
- St Louis Empty Net Goal - Patrik Berglund (7), from Vladimir Sobotka and Vladimir Tarasenko at 19:27.
Blues 5, Oilers 2 3rd - 0:33Jan 8 12:03 AM
- ST. LOUIS: 4
End of 2nd
Jan 7 11:12 PM
- St Louis Goal - Vladimir Tarasenko, at 13:56.
Blues 4, Oilers 2 2nd - 6:04Jan 7 11:02 PM
- St Louis Power-Play Goal - David Backes (17), at 10:56.
Blues 3, Oilers 2 2nd - 9:04Jan 7 10:51 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Mark Arcobello (4), at 5:10.
Blues 2, Oilers 2 2nd - 14:50Jan 7 10:42 PM
- St Louis Goal - Maxim Lapierre (6), at 2:18.
Blues 2, Oilers 1 2nd - 17:42Jan 7 10:36 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Nail Yakupov (9), at 1:36.
Blues 1, Oilers 1 2nd - 18:24Jan 7 10:35 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 1
End of 1st
Jan 7 10:15 PM
- St Louis Power-Play Goal - Chris Stewart (14), at 12:46.
Blues 1, Oilers 0 1st - 7:14Jan 7 10:01 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 7 9:38 PM
- Hitchcock hedges on lineup for Game 5 vs. Sharks May 23
- Sharks-Blues Preview May 23
- Blues sticking with Allen in Game 5 against Sharks May 22
- Blues beat Sharks 6-3 to even series at 2 games apiece May 21
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Blues to make goalie change for Game 4 against Sharks May 20
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Jones' 2nd shutout gives Sharks 2-1 series lead over Blues May 20
- Sharks power play helps drive postseason success May 19
- Hot Tip: Backes excels at deflections for Blues May 19
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 18