Perron's hat trick leads Oilers past CanucksJan 28, 2014 - 6:12 AM
Perron potted a pair of goals in the opening frame, while Jesse Joensuu broke a 2-2 tie with his third of the season 2:20 into the third.
Perron added an empty-netter late, while Ilya Bryzgalov stopped 25 shots for the Oilers, who have won two straight on the heels of a six-game slide.
"That's the way we need to play to earn points in this league," Perron said.
Jordan Schroeder scored his first two goals of the season to account for Vancouver's offense, while Roberto Luongo allowed four goals on 20 shots for the Canucks, who had won three of four coming into the game.
With the game tied 2-2 early in the third, Joensuu snuck a rebound through the five-hole of Luongo from in close to make it 3-2 at 2:20.
"I needed to come up with that save in the third period," Luongo lamented. "The team needed it."
The Canucks applied pressure throughout the final frame, but Bryzgalov turned away all nine shots he faced in the third to keep the Oilers on top.
Perron found the empty net with just over a minute left to account for the final margin.
Perron's one-timer from the inner half of the right circle made it 1-0 9:11 into the game, but Schroeder's wraparound from the low left side deflected in off Bryzgalov to tie the game at 12:33.
Perron put Edmonton back in front with 2:26 left in the period, pounding in a rebound from the low right side to give the Oilers a 2-1 lead.
Schroeder brought Vancouver even early in the second when he wristed a shot from above the right circle that appeared to change directions before sailing past Bryzgalov to tie the game at 2:39.
Edmonton hadn't won back-to-back games since Dec. 23-27 ... Edmonton had lost all three meetings with Vancouver this season ... Vancouver's Henrik Sedin missed his fourth straight games with a rib injury ... Perron's other hat trick came as a member of the Blues against Vancouver in Nov. 2009.
- EDMONTON: 4
Jan 28 12:44 AM
- EDMONTON: 4
3rd Period - 1:09
Oilers 4, Canucks 2 3rd - 1:09Jan 28 12:44 AM
- EDMONTON: 3
3rd Period - 17:40
Oilers 3, Canucks 2 3rd - 17:40Jan 28 12:44 AM
- Vancouver Goal - Jordan Schroeder (2), at 2:39.
Oilers 2, Canucks 2 2nd - 17:21Jan 27 11:11 PM
- EDMONTON: 2
End of 1st
Jan 27 10:49 PM
- Edmonton Goal - David Perron, at 17:34.
Oilers 2, Canucks 1 1st - 2:26Jan 27 10:45 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Jordan Schroeder, at 12:33.
Oilers 1, Canucks 1 1st - 7:27Jan 27 10:34 PM
- Edmonton Goal - David Perron (20), at 9:11.
Oilers 1, Canucks 0 1st - 10:49Jan 27 10:26 PM
- EDMONTON: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 27 10:11 PM
- Cup final awaits either playoff-starved Blues or Sharks May 14
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Blackhawks agree to 3-year deal with D Gustav Forsling May 11
- NHL, Oilers, Flames each donating $100,000 to Fort McMurray May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Canucks sign goalie Thatcher Demko to entry-level contract Apr 20
- Canucks sign North Dakota defenseman Troy Stecher Apr 13
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13
- Sharks look to forget past playoff collapse against Kings Apr 11