Lightning top Panthers in SOOct 28, 2013 - 3:20 AM
Stamkos scored in the fourth round of the shootout, skating down the left side and deking to his forehand to clip the puck around Jacob Markstrom's left pad.
Valtteri Filppula also beat the Panthers goalie in the shootout. Brad Boyes had the only successful try for Florida despite being knocked down by Tampa goalie Anders Lindback.
Martin St. Louis and Radko Gudas had regulation goals for the Lightning, who have won three in a row. They are 5-0 in their last five trips to Sunrise -- with four of the games going past regulation.
"We probably have the quietest 8-3 record in the league," said Stamkos. "And we like it that way."
Gudas was ejected soon after his goal in the second period for whacking his stick on the boards in front of the Panthers bench.
Nick Bjugstad and Boyes scored third-period goals to dig the Panthers out of a 3-1 hole but they dropped their third in a row, falling to 1-2-2 on a six-game homestand that ends Friday against St. Louis. They scored more than two goals for the first time during the homestand but were unable to put a full game together.
"We have to play a full 60 minutes," said Boyes.
Gudas made it 3-1 on a power play midway through the second period on a slap shot from just inside the blue line that was deflected in.
The defenseman was ejected less than three minutes later after drawing a slashing penalty, a 10-minute misconduct and game misconduct. Florida's Scottie Upshall served a bench minor, possibly after a Panther squirted water at Gidas while he was down on the ice, drawing the reaction.
Bjugstad was on the left side of the net moments after a failed Tampa Bay clear and re-directed the puck after on net, drawing the Panthers within a goal 5:39 into the third period.
Boyes made a nice deke in front of the crease and slipped a backhand shot in between Lindback's legs to tie the game 8:51 into the third period. The goal came 3:12 after Bjugstad's.
Lindback had 29 saves in the win and Markstrom 25 in the loss.
Stamkos had a hand in the first two Tampa Bay goals. He faked a pass and fed St. Louis on the low left side for a tip-in just 41 seconds into the game and was in the right circle for a slapshot on a long rebound, giving the Lightning a 2-0 lead 4:35 in.
Shawn Matthias halved the deficit for Florida on a sharp-angle rebound from the low right side with 6:12 remaining in the first period.
The Lighting, who were coming off a 5-2 homestand, started a three-game road trip that continues against the New Jersey Devils on Tuesday ... It was the second of four meetings between the teams this season. The Lightning beat the Panthers 7-2 on Oct. 10. Their next meeting is Dec. 23.
- TAMPA BAY: 4
Final - 2OT
Oct 27 7:52 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 3
End of OT
Oct 27 7:42 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 3
End of Regulation
Oct 27 7:34 PM
- Florida Goal - Brad Boyes (5), at 8:51.
Lightning 3, Panthers 3 3rd - 11:09Oct 27 7:19 PM
- Florida Goal - Nick Bjugstad, at 5:39.
Lightning 3, Panthers 2 3rd - 14:21Oct 27 7:10 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 3
End of 2nd
Oct 27 6:42 PM
- Martin St. Louis shot blocked by Tomas Kopecky.
Lightning 3, Panthers 1 2nd - 8:54Oct 27 6:23 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 2
End of 1st
Oct 27 5:44 PM
- Aleksander Barkov wrist shot on Anders Lindback.
Lightning 2, Panthers 1 1st - 4:59Oct 27 5:35 PM
- Florida Goal - Shawn Matthias, at 13:48.
Lightning 2, Panthers 1 1st - 6:12Oct 27 5:33 PM
- Tyler Johnson shot blocked by Sean Bergenheim.
Lightning 2, Panthers 0 1st - 13:46Oct 27 5:20 PM
- Scottie Upshall shot blocked by Eric Brewer.
Lightning 1, Panthers 0 1st - 15:30Oct 27 5:19 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Steven Stamkos (8), from Ryan Malone at 4:35.
Lightning 2, Panthers 0 1st - 15:25Oct 27 5:19 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Martin St. Louis (7), at :41.
Lightning 1, Panthers 0 1st - 19:19Oct 27 5:10 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Oct 27 5:08 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Confident Lightning feel Penguins haven't see their best May 18
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17