Kane scores twice as Jets down KingsOct 5, 2013 - 5:00 AM
Olli Jokinen also scored for Winnipeg while Bryan Little added an empty-netter to result in the final margin. The Jets have tallied five goals in each of their first two games this season, both wins.
Andrej Pavelec stopped 33 of 36 shots he faced in the triumph.
Jonathan Quick yielded four goals on 27 shots before Ben Scrivens took over between the pipes for LA. Scrivens, who spent the first two years of his career with Toronto, stopped all five shots he saw in his Kings' debut.
Matt Greene, Jeff Carter and Justin Williams scored for the Kings in defeat.
"We were outplayed, but we were also outshooting them and putting pucks on the net," said Kings coach Darryl Sutter.
Mike Richards won a face-off in the Winnipeg zone late in the first period and Dwight King came up with the puck for LA. Greene then fired a slap-shot, which was blocked by Tobias Enstrom, but the defenseman stayed with the play and came up with the loose puck following a giveaway by Dustin Byfuglien. Greene's slapper beat Pavelec over his right shoulder for the opening goal.
The Jets tied it less than two minutes later at the 15:45 mark of the first. Kane unleashed a rocket to the top corner of the goal to knot the score.
At 6:42 of the second period, Blake Wheeler appeared to have put the Jets on top with a slap-shot from the left wing, but a video review determined that the shot came after the net had come off its moorings, leaving the score tied at a goal apiece.
Moments later however, Jokinen netted his 300th career goal to put the Jets in front.
Kane's second goal of the contest 2:22 into the third period put Winnipeg ahead, 3-1. With the Jets on a 5-on-4 advantage, the puck found Kane in the middle of the Kings' zone and his wrister took a deflection before sneaking past Quick.
Setoguchi found the back of the net at the 5:19 mark on a wrap-around goal for a 4-1 margin. Kane and Jokinen registered assists on Seto's first tally of the season.
LA scored to cut the deficit to 4-2 with 9:00 left in the third. Immediately following Jacob Trouba's tripping penalty, Anze Kopitar won possession off the face-off for the Kings. Richards and Jake Muzzin swung the puck around to Carter, whose shot beat Pavelec.
A late power-play led to the Kings' third goal. As the man advantage was winding down, Matt Frattin let off a blistering shot that hit the goalpost and deflected right to Williams, who wristed it into the unoccupied portion of the net.
The Kings benched Scrivens late for the extra attacker, leaving an empty net for Little, who launched a shot from near mid-ice following a take-away by Andrew Ladd.
"First thing you can't do is start panicking," said Jets coach Claude Noel. "Obviously when it gets to 4-1 you want to start playing the right way, but if you get into penalty trouble, you're going to have some problems."
The Kings lost only three times in regulation in 26 contests after scoring first last season ... Kane now has five goals in four career games against the Kings ... The Jets converted just 1-of-9 on the power-play.
- LOS ANGELES: 3
Oct 4 10:56 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Bryan Little (2), from Andrew Ladd at 19:12.
Kings 3, Jets 5 3rd - 0:48Oct 4 10:56 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Justin Williams, at 15:44.
Kings 3, Jets 4 3rd - 4:16Oct 4 10:47 PM
- Los Angeles Goal at 11:00.
Kings 2, Jets 4 3rd - 9:00Oct 4 10:37 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Devin Setoguchi, at 5:19.
Kings 1, Jets 4 3rd - 14:41Oct 4 10:23 PM
- Winnipeg Power-Play Goal - Evander Kane (2), at 2:22.
Kings 1, Jets 3 3rd - 17:38Oct 4 10:18 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 1
End of 2nd
Oct 4 9:56 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Olli Jokinen, from Michael Frolik and Tobias Enstrom at 12:54.
Kings 1, Jets 2 2nd - 7:06Oct 4 9:45 PM
- Zach Bogosian slap shot on Jonathan Quick.
Kings 1, Jets 1 2nd - 13:13Oct 4 9:30 PM
- Winnipeg Power-Play Goal - Blake Wheeler, at 6:42.
Kings 1, Jets 2 2nd - 13:18Oct 4 9:25 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 1
End of 1st
Oct 4 8:56 PM
- Kyle Clifford wrist shot on Ondrej Pavelec.
Kings 1, Jets 1 1st - 4:05Oct 4 8:49 PM
- Evander Kane shot blocked by Matt Greene.
Kings 1, Jets 0 1st - 4:17Oct 4 8:49 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Evander Kane, at 15:45.
Kings 1, Jets 1 1st - 4:15Oct 4 8:49 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Matt Greene, at 14:17.
Kings 1, Jets 0 1st - 5:43Oct 4 8:42 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Oct 4 8:17 PM
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Kings agree with coach Darryl Sutter on contract extension May 13
- Capitals get playoff payoff from Williams against Penguins May 8
- Kings GM: Coach Darryl Sutter has contract offer to return May 6
- Pietrangelo logs heavy ice time in Blues' playoff run May 3
- Pietrangelo logs heavy ice time in Blues' playoff run May 2
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Doughty, Karlsson, Burns finalists for Norris Trophy Apr 29
- Bergeron, Kesler, Kopitar are Selke Trophy finalists Apr 28
- Rested Sharks ready to face rolling Predators in 2nd round Apr 28
- Bishop, Holtby, Quick are Vezina Trophy finalists Apr 27