Chipchura, Smith carry Coyotes past KingsOct 30, 2013 - 6:28 AM
Shane Doan and Derek Morris also had a goal for the Coyotes, winners in four of their last five games.
"When you get shellacked like we did earlier this season in LA, it was nice to play them again so soon to get it back," Smith said. "To respond the way we did was good to see. Our first period was exceptional and then they came at us pretty hard. But we held our own pretty well."
Jarret Stoll scored the lone goal for the Kings, who had won four of their last five entering the contest. Ben Scrivens made 30 saves, but allowed at three goals in the setback.
"I felt I played well in the first and I tried to keep the boys in it through a couple of tough penalty kills," Scrivens said. "But overall this League is about winning. They did a good job of getting guys in front."
Chipchura sent a pass to Morris at the point and he blasted it home with 1:41 left in the second period to give the Coyotes a 1-0 led.
Doan added a power play goal with six seconds left in the second to make it 2-0. Oliver Ekman-Larsson found Doan wide open at the left circle, and Doan ripped a slap shot off the post and into the net for his third goal of the season.
After forcing a turnover in the LA zone, David Moss centered a pass to Chipchura, who was crashing to the net. Chipchura handled the puck and flipped it over Scrivens' pad for a three-goal edge 5:38 into the third period.
Stoll's power play marker with 3:21 to play got the Kings on the board, but it would be as close as they would get and Phoenix cruised to victory.
Phoenix has yet to lose in regulation at Jobing.com Arena (5-0-1) ... Ekman- Larsson has seven assists this season ... Phoenix killed off four LA power plays ... Andy Miele had two assists in the win ... The Kings were held to one goal for just the third time this season.
- LOS ANGELES: 1
Oct 30 12:44 AM
- Los Angeles Power-Play Goal - Jarret Stoll, at 16:39.
Kings 1, Coyotes 3 3rd - 3:21Oct 30 12:39 AM
- Phoenix Goal - Kyle Chipchura (2), from David Moss and Andy Miele at 5:37.
Kings 0, Coyotes 3 3rd - 14:23Oct 30 12:13 AM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
End of 2nd
Oct 29 11:46 PM
- Phoenix Power-Play Goal - Oliver Ekman-Larsson (4), at 19:53.
Kings 0, Coyotes 2 2nd - 0:07Oct 29 11:45 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Andy Miele, from Derek Morris and Kyle Chipchura at 18:19.
Kings 0, Coyotes 1 2nd - 1:41Oct 29 11:40 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
End of 1st
Oct 29 10:50 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Oct 29 10:08 PM
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Coyotes, Tucson make it official: Moving AHL team to city May 19
- Tucson city council approves deal for Coyotes AHL affiliate May 17
- Kings agree with coach Darryl Sutter on contract extension May 13
- AHL board approves sale, relocation of Coyotes' affililate May 10
- Capitals get playoff payoff from Williams against Penguins May 8
- Kings GM: Coach Darryl Sutter has contract offer to return May 6
- Arizona's Chayka becomes youngest GM in NHL history May 5
- AP Source: Coyotes to promote 26-year-old Chayka to GM May 4
- Pietrangelo logs heavy ice time in Blues' playoff run May 3
- Pietrangelo logs heavy ice time in Blues' playoff run May 2
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30