No Stamkos, no problem as Bolts down Habs in SONov 13, 2013 - 4:24 AM Montreal, QC (SportsNetwork.com) - Valtteri Filppula scored the only goal of the shootout as the Tampa Bay Lightning took a 2-1 win over the Montreal Canadiens on Tuesday.
Filppula scored on Tampa's first chance as he deked back to the forehand and lifted a shot high to the left side past Carey Price.
Ben Bishop then stopped a Danny Briere chance before gloving away a Brendan Gallagher shot for the win.
Just a day after losing Steven Stamkos for a significant amount of time as he suffered a broken right leg in Monday's game against Boston, the Lightning bounced back to win for a fifth time in their past six games.
"It was tough to lose a player like Stamkos, but it's a team sport," said Bishop. "We're going to have to move forward. The guys played great tonight. We could have scored more, but their goalie played a great game."
Ryan Malone scored in the first period while Bishop posted 28 stops in the win.
Briere had a goal late in the third period and Price stopped 44 shots for the Canadiens, who have lost five of their last six.
"We fought hard out there tonight and we were able to get one there late," said Briere, who had missed the previous 10 games with a concussion. "Their guy played great tonight and is a big reason they won the game, not us."
The Lightning took a 1-0 lead five minutes into the game as a shot from Eric Brewer at the left point was tipped in by Malone in front of the net.
The second period passed without a goal, but the Canadiens tied the game with 4:38 to play in regulation as Max Pacioretty's quick shot from the left boards hit off of Briere in front of the net and settled home.
Stamkos had surgery on Tuesday and is expected to begin rehab later this week. No timetable has been set for his return ... Tampa plays host to Anaheim on Thursday ... Montreal plays in Columbus on Friday ... Montreal had won four straight against Tampa, including all three games last season.
- TAMPA BAY: 2
Final - 2OT
Nov 12 10:34 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 1
End of Regulation
Nov 12 10:16 PM
- Montreal Goal - Danny Briere (2), from Max Pacioretty at 15:22.
Lightning 1, Canadiens 1 3rd - 4:38Nov 12 10:03 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 1
End of 2nd
Nov 12 9:14 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 1
End of 1st
Nov 12 8:18 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Ryan Malone (3), at 5:00.
Lightning 1, Canadiens 0 1st - 15:00Nov 12 7:50 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 12 7:42 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Confident Lightning feel Penguins haven't see their best May 18
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17