Rangers nip Habs thanks to Talbot's first shutoutNov 17, 2013 - 4:31 AM
Ryan Callahan's power-play goal in the second period stood as the winning margin for the Rangers, who put an end to an eight-game losing streak in Montreal.
Carey Price made 33 saves for the Habs, who have dropped six of their last eight.
"I don't want to make any excuses, but we all played very hard. My guys played very good defensive hockey tonight," Price admitted. "The goal was deflected, but the guys are letting me see the puck, and that's part of a solid defensive game."
Following a scoreless first period, the Rangers hit the scoreboard in the second.
Seconds after a brief 5-on-3 advantage expired, Derek Stepan held the puck in the left circle and dished back to Brad Richards. His blast from below the faceoff dot got a piece of Callahan in front and zipped past Price with 5:25 played.
"That's what we wanted to do, especially with back-to-back games," said Richards. "We tried to keep the pucks down, and below the goal line, trying not to turn them over while using our speed. We did a pretty good job overall."
Talbot stopped 10 shots in the middle period, then followed up with five more saves in the third as the Blueshirts clamped down defensively.
In a scoreless opening 20 minutes, Price made 15 saves and Talbot seven.
New York hadn't won at Bell Centre since a 4-3 shootout decision on Mar. 17, 2009 ... In those eight losses, the Rangers totaled just seven goals and were blanked five times ... Habs defenseman Alexei Emelin made his season debut, held out of action since Apr. 6 after a collision with Boston's Milan Lucic caused injuries to the ACL and MCL in his left knee which required surgery.
- NEW YORK: 1
Nov 16 9:38 PM
- NEW YORK: 1
End of 2nd
Nov 16 8:44 PM
- NY Rangers Power-Play Goal - Brad Richards (7), at 5:25.
Rangers 1, Canadiens 0 2nd - 14:35Nov 16 8:18 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
End of 1st
Nov 16 7:51 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 16 7:28 PM
- Major League Baseball suspends Rangers' Odor for 8 games and Andrus for 1 game, and Blue Jays' Chavez and Gibbons for 3 each and Bautista, Leiper for 1 apiece for role in brawl May 17
- US quarterfinal spot in doubt at worlds after Germany defeat May 15
- New York Rangers sign KHL forward Pavel Bucknevich May 13
- Canadiens sign forward Artturi Lehkonen to 3-year contract May 8
- Capitals are loose and confident and on brink of elimination May 6
- New York Rangers rookie Oscar Lindberg has hip surgery May 6
- Rangers agree to deal with backup goalie Antti Raanta May 2
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Winds of change coming to Rangers after early playoff exit Apr 26
- Penguins goaltender Fleury still dealing with concussion Apr 25
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- New faces making instant impact during Penguins' surge Apr 24