Jagr moves into 7th on goals list as Devils edge HabsJan 15, 2014 - 4:10 AM
Jagr got his 695th goal late in the first period to tie the game as the Devils scored four unanswered for their third win in four games.
Eric Gelinas, Adam Henrique and Dainius Zubrus also lit the lamp and Martin Brodeur made 29 saves.
Jagr, who scored for the first time since Dec. 21, moved past Messier three days after passing his former teammate Mario Lemieux for seventh place on the all-time points list with an assist against Florida.
The 41-year-old forward said such things aren't on his mind.
"I'm not thinking about history or Messier's goals," he said. "I'm not retiring yet, I'm not counting games yet. I'm trying to have fun. I have good teammates around me. They make me look good."
He paused, and laughed: "Or bad."
Max Pacioretty scored for the Canadiens, who had won four of their last five against New Jersey, and Carey Price gave up three goals on just 18 shots.
Brodeur was named the game's first star and received a standing ovation from the Montreal fans.
"I didn't expect the fans to respond to being the first star, but there's history here for me so it's something nice as well," said Brodeur, who was born in Montreal. "We picked everything up after their goal. We played well in the second period and had some big goals early in that period."
Pacioretty said he was happy with how the Canadiens generated offense against Brodeur and the Devils.
"It's just that they find ways to clear pucks and find ways to block shots," he said. "They play as a group for 60 minutes. Jersey prides itself on playing games like that."
Pacioretty skated alone against Marek Zidlicky after a Devils turnover in the Montreal zone and beat Brodeur with a wrist shot from the right side to give the Canadiens a 1-0 lead seven minutes into the game. It was his 20th goal of the season.
Jagr scored his 14th of the season. 21. He sticked around Josh Gorges at the bottom of the right circle and got a shot through traffic to tie the score with 2:37 left in the opening period.
Gelinas scored on a slap shot from the point on a power play 1:20 into the second period to give the Devils the lead and Henrique made it 3-1 on a rebound up close at 4:02 as teammate Ryane Clowe crashed through the crease.
Later in the second, Montreal had a goal waived off upon review after Brendan Gallagher was ruled to have kicked the puck in as he tangled with Andy Greene for position in the crease.
Zubrus scored into an empty net with 14 seconds left.
Gelinas scored his fifth of the season, Henrique his 12th and Dainius Zubrus his ninth ... Montreal hasn't won back-to-back games since Dec. 21 and 28 ... The Devils are 1-0-1 on a four-game road trip that continues at Colorado on Thursday ... The Canadiens start a four-game road trip Thursday at Ottawa ... Jagr's 695 goals trail Wayne Gretzky (894), Gordie Howe (801), Brett Hull (741), Marcel Dionne (731), Phil Esposito (717) and Mike Gartner (708) on the all-time list.
- NEW JERSEY: 4
Jan 14 10:05 PM
- New Jersey Empty Net Goal - Dainius Zubrus (9), from Jaromir Jagr at 19:46.
Devils 4, Canadiens 1 3rd - 0:14Jan 14 10:04 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 3
End of 2nd
Jan 14 9:15 PM
- Brendan Gallagher tip-in shot on Martin Brodeur.
Devils 3, Canadiens 1 2nd - 11:30Jan 14 8:48 PM
- Montreal Goal - Brendan Gallagher (12), at 8:30.
Devils 3, Canadiens 2 2nd - 11:30Jan 14 8:48 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Adam Henrique (12), from Ryane Clowe and Michael Ryder at 4:02.
Devils 3, Canadiens 1 2nd - 15:58Jan 14 8:39 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Eric Gelinas, at 1:20.
Devils 2, Canadiens 1 2nd - 18:40Jan 14 8:35 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 1
End of 1st
Jan 14 8:15 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Jaromir Jagr (14), at 17:23.
Devils 1, Canadiens 1 1st - 2:37Jan 14 8:08 PM
- Montreal Goal - Max Pacioretty (20), at 7:00.
Devils 0, Canadiens 1 1st - 13:00Jan 14 7:50 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 14 7:41 PM
- US beats Czechs at worlds to set up semifinal with May 19
- US quarterfinal spot in doubt at worlds after Germany defeat May 15
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Devils' Patrik Elias, Cory Schneider both undergo surgery May 12
- Canadiens sign forward Artturi Lehkonen to 3-year contract May 8
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Former Canadiens coach Jacques Demers improving after stroke Apr 15
- Fighting the bear: John Scott demonstrates a hockey fight Apr 14
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13
- Capitals are not running from Stanley Cup expectations Apr 12
- Devils make progress under Hynes, still miss playoffs Apr 11