Late strikes send Leafs over CanadiensJan 19, 2014 - 5:01 AM
Mason Raymond, Joffrey Lupul and Phil Kessel all posted a goal and an assist, while Cody Franson also scored for the Maple Leafs, who have won four straight. Jonathan Bernier stopped 30 shots in the win.
Brendan Gallagher, Brian Gionta and David Desharnais all lit the lamp for the Canadiens, who have dropped six of their last 10. Carey Price allowed four goals on 29 shots in the loss.
Montreal had tied the game at 9:06 of the third period as a left circle faceoff win saw P.K. Subban's shot from the left point tipped in by Desharnais in front.
Toronto, though, took a 4-3 lead with 5:33 to play as Tyler Bozak caught up to the puck at the right circle and fed it to the front where van Riemsdyk tapped it in for his 19th of the year.
"Bozak made an unbelievable play," van Riemsdyk said. "That's a pretty tough play that he made there, put a saucer pass right on my stick and I just had to try to chip it in."
Lupul sealed the win with an empty-net goal in the final seconds.
Toronto scored at 4:49 of the first period as Nazem Kadri made a nifty move around the defender at the left side and sent the puck out front for a tip-in by Franson.
"I wanted to come out and have a big game," Kadri said. "Obviously the magnitude of this game was huge. For us to chase that top spot in the division is still a realistic goal for us. We knew we had to come out and play against a very good team."
The Canadiens tied the game on the power play as Gallagher put in a rebound from the left side at 17:29 of the first.
Toronto went back on top at 13:11 of the second period as Raymond circled around with the puck down low before centering it for a one-timer by Kessel.
The Leafs took a 3-1 lead on the power play as Raymond scored with a wrister from the right side, but the Canadiens got it back with 11.2 seconds remaining in the second as Gionta chipped the puck in from down low.
Montreal plays in Pittsburgh on Wednesday ... Toronto hits the road for four games starting Monday in Phoenix ... These teams split a pair of games in Montreal earlier in the season ... Toronto went 1-for-2 on the power play while Montreal was 1-for-3.
- MONTREAL: 3
Jan 18 9:54 PM
- Toronto Goal - Joffrey Lupul (15), from Nikolai Kulemin at 19:56.
Canadiens 3, Maple Leafs 5 3rd - 0:04Jan 18 9:51 PM
- Toronto Goal - James van Riemsdyk (19), from Tyler Bozak and Phil Kessel at 14:27.
Canadiens 3, Maple Leafs 4 3rd - 5:33Jan 18 9:40 PM
- Montreal Goal - P.K. Subban, at 9:06.
Canadiens 3, Maple Leafs 3 3rd - 10:54Jan 18 9:28 PM
- Brian Gionta shot blocked by Tim Gleason.
Canadiens 2, Maple Leafs 3 3rd - 19:02Jan 18 9:08 PM
- James van Riemsdyk snap shot on Carey Price.
Canadiens 1, Maple Leafs 3 2nd - 1:19Jan 18 8:48 PM
- MONTREAL: 2
End of 2nd
Jan 18 8:48 PM
- Montreal Goal - Brian Gionta (8), from Francis Bouillon at 19:48.
Canadiens 2, Maple Leafs 3 2nd - 0:12Jan 18 8:48 PM
- Toronto Power-Play Goal - Mason Raymond (13), from Nazem Kadri and Morgan Rielly at 17:47.
Canadiens 1, Maple Leafs 3 2nd - 2:13Jan 18 8:46 PM
- Jake Gardiner slap shot on Carey Price.
Canadiens 1, Maple Leafs 2 2nd - 2:22Jan 18 8:46 PM
- Daniel Briere shot on Jonathan Bernier.
Canadiens 1, Maple Leafs 3 2nd - 1:01Jan 18 8:46 PM
- Tomas Plekanec wrist shot on Jonathan Bernier.
Canadiens 1, Maple Leafs 2 2nd - 6:27Jan 18 8:35 PM
- MONTREAL: 1
End of 1st
Jan 18 7:52 PM
- Montreal Power-Play Goal - Brendan Gallagher (12), from Andrei Markov and P.K. Subban at 17:29.
Canadiens 1, Maple Leafs 1 1st - 2:31Jan 18 7:46 PM
- Toronto Goal - Cody Franson (3), from Tyler Bozak at 4:48.
Canadiens 0, Maple Leafs 1 1st - 15:12Jan 18 7:22 PM
- MONTREAL: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 18 7:13 PM
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- US quarterfinal spot in doubt at worlds after Germany defeat May 15
- Canadiens sign forward Artturi Lehkonen to 3-year contract May 8
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Former Canadiens coach Jacques Demers improving after stroke Apr 15
- Fighting the bear: John Scott demonstrates a hockey fight Apr 14
- Maple Leafs sign Kadri, Rielly to 6-year deals Apr 13
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13