Jokinen scores twice as Penguins pound CanadiensJan 23, 2014 - 6:57 AM
Evgeni Malkin tallied a goal and an assist, while Sidney Crosby and Taylor Pyatt supplied Pittsburgh's two other goals. Matt Niskanen had two assists and Marc-Andre Fleury made 23 saves as the Penguins won for the third time in their last four tries.
"We definitely buckled down, especially defensively, and didn't give them a ton," Crosby said. "When we did, Fleury made some good saves and we generated some good chances and capitalized on them. I think it was a good game to respond."
Rene Bourque had Montreal's lone goal, while Daniel Briere and Brandon Prust picked up the assists. Carey Price allowed all five goals on 21 shots before being pulled late in the second period.
Peter Budaj entered in relief and stopped all 10 shots fired his way in Montreal's second straight loss.
Jokinen opened the scoring nearly nine minutes into the opening stanza. Malkin skated down to the right circle and dished a pass across the ice to a wide- open Jokinen, who easily tapped in his 14th of the season.
Niskanen fired a shot from the point through a maze of the players and Pyatt was present in front of the net to deflect the puck in on the power play to give the Penguins a 2-0 lead with 3:35 remaining in the first.
Montreal made it a one-goal game 1:15 later. Briere gathered the puck off the boards and slid a pass from the side of the net to Bourque, who wristed the puck over Fleury. The puck skipped out of the net so quickly that it was not ruled a goal until it was reviewed after the play concluded.
Olli Maatta skated up from the point to send a cross-ice pass over to Jokinen, who connected on the one-timer from the right faceoff dot 5:46 into the second, making it a 3-1 game.
Pittsburgh tallied another goal with the man advantage. At 11:43 of the second, Crosby tipped in his 26th of the season following a P.K. Subban holding penalty.
Malkin glided past the Montreal defense, cut to the front of the net, and slid the puck past the pad of Price to give the Penguins a 5-1 advantage with close to five minutes left in the second.
A scrum formed after Bourque made contact with Fleury close to five minutes left in the third. Budaj came out of his net to challenge Fleury to a fight. The Pittsburgh netminder accepted, but the referees quickly broke the two up before any punches were thrown.
"We lost the game; that's the key for me. That's what's disappointing for us. We didn't play a good game and they were the better team," Budaj said.
Niskanen has a career-high five-game point streak ... Pittsburgh is 7-1-1 in their last nine regular-season games against Montreal ... The Penguins have won five straight against the Canadiens at home.
- MONTREAL: 1
Jan 22 9:41 PM
- MONTREAL: 1
End of 2nd
Jan 22 8:46 PM
- Nathan Beaulieu snap shot is wide.
Canadiens 1, Penguins 5 2nd - 4:33Jan 22 8:35 PM
- MONTREAL: 1
2nd Period - 5:31
Canadiens 1, Penguins 4 2nd - 5:31Jan 22 8:34 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Evgeni Malkin, at 15:03.
Canadiens 1, Penguins 5 2nd - 4:57Jan 22 8:34 PM
- Pittsburgh Power-Play Goal - Sidney Crosby (26), from Kris Letang at 11:43.
Canadiens 1, Penguins 4 2nd - 8:17Jan 22 8:27 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Jussi Jokinen (15), from Olli Maatta and James Neal at 5:46.
Canadiens 1, Penguins 3 2nd - 14:14Jan 22 8:14 PM
- MONTREAL: 1
End of 1st
Jan 22 7:48 PM
- Montreal Goal - Rene Bourque (7), at 17:40.
Canadiens 1, Penguins 2 1st - 2:20Jan 22 7:44 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Matt Niskanen (8), at 16:25.
Canadiens 0, Penguins 2 1st - 3:35Jan 22 7:40 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Jussi Jokinen (14), from Evgeni Malkin and Matt Niskanen at 8:48.
Canadiens 0, Penguins 1 1st - 11:12Jan 22 7:24 PM
- MONTREAL: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 22 7:11 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to start Game 5 May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17