Jets edge CanadiensFeb 2, 2014 - 9:41 PM
Tobias Enstrom scored the other goal for the Jets, who have won four of their last five.
"I made the first save and our guys were there to battle," said Montoya. "Any guy in front of the net, you mind him and take care of business."
Brian Gionta scored the only goal and Carey Price allowed both goals on 33 shots for the Canadiens, who have lost their past two games.
"We were intense today and hit two posts, but Montoya made some good key saves," said Montreal head coach Michel Therrien. "Sure we would like to score more goals, but I liked the intensity we showed today."
The winning goal came at 1:04 of the third due to a mistake from Price.
Montreal's goaltender came out of the net to his right to play the puck, but Andrew Ladd flew in and knocked it behind the net. Ladd then quickly threw a pass over to the right side and Frolik snapped it into the net before Price could re-establish himself.
From there, it was all Montoya as he turned away all 10 shots he faced in the final period to seal the victory.
After a scoreless first period, the Jets took a 1-0 lead at 9:13 of the second as Enstrom received a pass along the left boards and went behind the net before spinning around at the right and wristing in a shot for his sixth of the year.
Montreal, though, tied the game at 17:06 of the second as Tomas Plekanec slipped a backhand pass from the right boards to the slot where Gionta quickly switched from the backhand to the forehand and snapped a shot past Montoya's glove.
Montreal hosts Calgary on Tuesday ... Winnipeg continues its four-game road trip in Carolina on Tuesday ... The Canadiens had won six straight against the Jets, including a 3-0 win in Winnipeg back on Oct. 15 ... Both teams were 0- for-3 on the power play.
- WINNIPEG: 2
Feb 2 3:44 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Michael Frolik (12), from Andrew Ladd at 1:04.
Jets 2, Canadiens 1 3rd - 18:56Feb 2 3:08 PM
- WINNIPEG: 1
End of 2nd
Feb 2 2:48 PM
- Montreal Goal - Brian Gionta (10), at 17:06.
Jets 1, Canadiens 1 2nd - 2:54Feb 2 2:41 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Tobias Enstrom (6), at 9:13.
Jets 1, Canadiens 0 2nd - 10:47Feb 2 2:26 PM
- WINNIPEG: 0
End of 1st
Feb 2 1:51 PM
- WINNIPEG: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 2 1:16 PM
- US quarterfinal spot in doubt at worlds after Germany defeat May 15
- Canadiens sign forward Artturi Lehkonen to 3-year contract May 8
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- Former Canadiens coach Jacques Demers improving after stroke Apr 15
- Fighting the bear: John Scott demonstrates a hockey fight Apr 14
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13
- Capitals are not running from Stanley Cup expectations Apr 12
- Winnipeg Jets rally from 3 goals down to stun LA Kings 4-3 Apr 10
- Galchenyuk, Pacioretty score twice; Canadiens beat Lightning Apr 10
- Jacques Demers in stable condition 2 days after stroke Apr 8
- Lightning-Canadiens Preview Apr 8
- Jets-Kings Preview Apr 8