Preds top BoltsFeb 28, 2014 - 5:44 AM Nashville, TN (SportsNetwork.com) - Patric Hornqvist scored with 6:04 remaining and the Nashville Predators rallied past the Tampa Bay Lightning, 3-2, in the first game back from the Olympic break for both teams.
Roman Josi and Matt Cullen both scored power-play goals in the second period for the Predators, who had lost three straight before the break.
Carter Hutton stopped 14-of-16 shots in the victory.
Martin St. Louis scored a pair of first-period goals for the Lightning, who saw Ben Bishop make 26 saves.
"I'm really, really disappointed the way we played," said Lightning coach Jon Cooper. "Seven shots in the last two periods? This team is -- I love this team -- we have a special group of guys in there, and I'm just really shocked we did that."
The Lightning drew first blood at the 5:26 mark of the first period. Ondrej Palat's shot from the slot hit off the post and St. Louis was there to put in the rebound.
St. Louis' power-play goal at 9:13 made it a 2-0 game. His shot from the right circle snuck past Hutton.
Cullen started Nashville's comeback at 12:05 of the middle stanza. Ryan Ellis, positioned at the top of the right circle, slid a pass to the side of the net for Cullen.
Just over a minute later, Josi scored on a slap shot from the left circle.
Hornqvist scored the game-winner with 6:04 left in the third. He managed to jam the puck past Bishop after taking a pass from Mike Fisher. It was Nashville's third power-play goal of the game.
"Yeah, I think we really did a really good job in moving the puck," said Hornqvist. "Our second effort was really good. It felt like we got the puck back almost every time, and that obviously leads to tired defensemen out there, and then we can make some plays. I think overall we did a really good job, and 5-on-5 too."
Nashville and Tampa Bay split the two meetings this season ... The Lightning started a four-game road trip on Thursday ... The Predators went 3-for-4 on the power play, while Tampa Bay was 1-for-3 on the man advantage.
- TAMPA BAY: 2
Feb 27 10:31 PM
- Nashville Goal - Patric Hornqvist (11), at 13:56.
Lightning 2, Predators 3 3rd - 6:04Feb 27 10:21 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 2
End of 2nd
Feb 27 9:41 PM
- Nashville Power-Play Goal - Roman Josi (9), at 13:16.
Lightning 2, Predators 2 2nd - 6:44Feb 27 9:29 PM
- Nashville Power-Play Goal - Matt Cullen (6), at 12:05.
Lightning 2, Predators 1 2nd - 7:55Feb 27 9:26 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 2
End of 1st
Feb 27 8:45 PM
- Tampa Bay Power-Play Goal - Martin St. Louis (27), at 9:13.
Lightning 2, Predators 0 1st - 10:47Feb 27 8:24 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Martin St. Louis (26), from Ondrej Palat at 5:26.
Lightning 1, Predators 0 1st - 14:34Feb 27 8:16 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 27 8:09 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- GM ready to be patient expecting Predators to keep improving May 18