Canucks edge Devils on Garrison's OT winnerOct 9, 2013 - 6:39 AM
In the extra session, Garrison let fly with a shot from the high slot that hit off of Marek Zidlicky, tussling with a Canuck in front of the net, and went past Cory Schneider for the win.
"I saw Garrison block the middle. I looked one way and next thing I know it is in the net. There was some traffic and I just didn't look hard enough to find it," Schneider said of the game-winning tally.
Daniel Sedin and Alexander Edler also scored for the Canucks, who have won three straight. Roberto Luongo made 21 stops in the win.
"Garrison looks poised for the puck, and we all know about his shot. That is the main thing, he's shooting the puck really well," said Sedin.
Jaromir Jagr and Patrik Elias each posted a goal and an assist for the Devils, who have dropped four straight to start the season, but have gained a point in each of their last three games.
Schneider, who was acquired by the Devils from Vancouver in a draft-day deal earlier this year, stopped 29 shots in the loss.
The Devils got on board late in the first period on a rush play. Zidlicky skated the puck down the right wing and sent a pass over to the right circle for Elias, who fired it over to the left circle to Jagr for a one-timer between the pads of Luongo with 1:08 left in the frame.
At 7:23 of the second, the Devils made it 2-0 as Elias' shot from the right corner went off the skate of a Canuck and past Luongo.
Vancouver, though, scored a minute and a half later as Sedin's shot from the right point tipped off of Anton Volchenkov and went in.
With 6:13 to play in the second, the Canucks tied the game as a pass from the right wing by Sedin to the slot saw Edler bring it from his skate to his stick and lift it over the blocker of Schneider.
Vancouver was 0-for-2 on the power play while New Jersey was 0-for-1 ... Vancouver has won four straight against New Jersey ... Vancouver hosts San Jose on Thursday ... New Jersey continues its five-game road trip in Calgary on Friday.
- NEW JERSEY: 2
Final - OT
Oct 9 12:41 AM
- Vancouver Goal - Jason Garrison (3), from David Booth at 2:18.
Devils 2, Canucks 3 OT - 2:42Oct 9 12:41 AM
- NEW JERSEY: 2
End of Regulation
Oct 9 12:35 AM
- NEW JERSEY: 2
End of 2nd
Oct 8 11:41 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Alexander Edler, from Daniel Sedin and Henrik Sedin at 13:47.
Devils 2, Canucks 2 2nd - 6:13Oct 8 11:30 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Daniel Sedin (2), from Christopher Tanev and Ryan Stanton at 8:51.
Devils 2, Canucks 1 2nd - 11:09Oct 8 11:18 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Patrik Elias (2), from Anton Volchenkov at 7:25.
Devils 2, Canucks 0 2nd - 12:35Oct 8 11:16 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 1
End of 1st
Oct 8 10:49 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Jaromir Jagr (2), from Patrik Elias and Marek Zidlicky at 18:52.
Devils 1, Canucks 0 1st - 1:08Oct 8 10:42 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Oct 8 10:10 PM
- US beats Czechs at worlds to set up semifinal with May 19
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Devils' Patrik Elias, Cory Schneider both undergo surgery May 12
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Canucks sign goalie Thatcher Demko to entry-level contract Apr 20
- Canucks sign North Dakota defenseman Troy Stecher Apr 13
- Devils make progress under Hynes, still miss playoffs Apr 11
- Devils' Elias reconsidering future after good final week Apr 10
- Etem scores shootout winner as Canucks beat Oilers 4-3 Apr 10
- Henrique scores 2, Devils beat Leafs in season finale Apr 9
- Devils sign Boston College's Steven Santini, Miles Wood Apr 8