Zubrus helps Devils overcome RangersNov 13, 2013 - 4:46 AM
Ryan Carter supplied the other two scores for the Devils, winners in three of their last four. Martin Brodeur turned in a successful 33-save effort.
"Defensively we've been doing well," Brodeur said of the team's recent success. "We just have to keep that up and now we're adding a little offense to our game so that's always a pretty good recipe."
Marc Staal and Dan Girardi scored for the Rangers, whose three-game win streak came to an end. Chris Kreider assisted on both, but Henrik Lundqvist allowed three goals on 28 shots in defeat.
"We came up short," Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault said. "I thought we did a lot of the right things, but obviously we came up a little short tonight."
Zubrus knocked home his own rebound from atop the crease with 2:55 remaining. His initial backhander was blocked by two Ranger defenders, but the rebound came right back to the 16-year veteran for the go-ahead score.
Lundqvist was pulled twice in the final 84 seconds for an extra attacker but the Blueshirts had no answer to Brodeur.
A scoreless deadlock was ended with two goals in 18 seconds early in the second period.
Carter picked up his first of the season at 6:37, a shot from the right post during a delayed penalty, then Staal equalized for the hosts at 6:55 with a blast from below the left circle.
Carter then won a race to a loose puck on the right wing, and flipped a rolling puck through Lundqvist's pads with 46.1 seconds left for a 2-1 New Jersey lead.
Jaromir Jagr was in alone, but Lundqvist wasn't fooled by his backhand try with 7:45 left in regulation. Just over a minute later, Girardi's point try deflected off the skate of Devils defenseman Adam Larsson in front and skittered by Brodeur.
Carter recorded his third career two-goal contest ... Devils defenseman Anton Volchenkov left after the first period with a lower-body injury and did not return ... New York's power play, which clicked at a 25-percent pace over the last seven games, was held off the board on five chances.
- NEW JERSEY: 3
NEW YORK: 2
Nov 12 9:44 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Dainius Zubrus, at 17:05.
Devils 3, Rangers 2 3rd - 2:55Nov 12 9:36 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Dan Girardi, at 13:18.
Devils 2, Rangers 2 3rd - 6:42Nov 12 9:25 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 2
NEW YORK: 1
End of 2nd
Nov 12 8:43 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Ryan Carter (2), at 19:13.
Devils 2, Rangers 1 2nd - 0:47Nov 12 8:41 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Marc Staal (2), at 6:55.
Devils 1, Rangers 1 2nd - 13:05Nov 12 8:16 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Ryan Carter, at 6:37.
Devils 1, Rangers 0 2nd - 13:23Nov 12 8:14 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
NEW YORK: 0
End of 1st
Nov 12 7:43 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 12 7:08 PM
- US beats Czechs at worlds to set up semifinal with May 19
- Major League Baseball suspends Rangers' Odor for 8 games and Andrus for 1 game, and Blue Jays' Chavez and Gibbons for 3 each and Bautista, Leiper for 1 apiece for role in brawl May 17
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- New York Rangers sign KHL forward Pavel Bucknevich May 13
- Devils' Patrik Elias, Cory Schneider both undergo surgery May 12
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- Capitals are loose and confident and on brink of elimination May 6
- New York Rangers rookie Oscar Lindberg has hip surgery May 6
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Rangers agree to deal with backup goalie Antti Raanta May 2
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Winds of change coming to Rangers after early playoff exit Apr 26