Devils get best of Rangers with power-play goal in OTDec 8, 2013 - 6:25 AM
New Jersey trailed 2-0 early in the second, but ripped off three straight goals to jump in front before Chris Kreider scored on a power play with 21.3 seconds left in regulation to bring the Rangers even.
New York's Ryan Callahan took a high-sticking double-minor 1:02 into the extra session, and Gelinas lit the lamp with a blast from the top of the right circle just 13 seconds into the man advantage.
"Probably the biggest [goal] of my career besides my first one," Gelinas said of his game-winning goal. "It was a great feeling."
Michael Ryder, Travis Zajac and Cam Janssen each scored once, while Martin Brodeur posted 21 saves for the Devils, who snapped a three-game slide.
Mats Zuccarello notched a goal and an assist and Brad Richards scored once for the Rangers, who have lost all three meetings with New Jersey this season.
Henrik Lundqvist allowed all four goals on 24 shots in defeat.
"It's a big point," Lundqvist said of picking up a point despite the loss. "We never gave up so that's a good sign. We just didn't get the bounces tonight."
Ryder gave the Devils their first lead of the game with 4:04 left in the third when he capped a string of three straight New Jersey goals with a stellar individual effort. He danced around a defender at the New York blue line before skating into the circle and slipping a shot through Lundqvist's five- hole to make it 3-2.
However, after Zajac was whistled for delay of game with 1:11 on the clock, Lundqvist left the New York net to give the Rangers a 6-on-4 advantage and Kreider backhanded a rebound into the back of the net off a Callahan shot to send the game to overtime.
Richards got the Rangers on the board 3:32 into the game when he beat Brodeur to the short side from the left circle off a 2-on-1 rush and Zuccarello doubled the lead 57 seconds into the second when he pounded home a long rebound from the left circle.
Janssen's rebound tally at 6:02 of the second brought the Devils within one before Zajac tied the game just under six minutes into the third when he recovered the disc on the low right side and lifted the puck high over Lundqvist.
Richards extended his point streak to six games ... New York dropped to 5-7-0 at home this season ... New Jersey's Tim Sestito and Jaromir Jagr each registered two assists ... Callahan notched two assists for the Rangers ... New Jersey went 1-for-3 on the power play, while New York finished 1-for-4.
- NEW JERSEY: 4
NEW YORK: 3
Final - OT
Dec 7 10:12 PM
- New Jersey Power-Play Goal - Eric Gelinas (3), at 1:15.
Devils 4, Rangers 3 OT - 3:45Dec 7 10:11 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 3
NEW YORK: 3
End of Regulation
Dec 7 10:08 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Chris Kreider, at 19:38.
Devils 3, Rangers 3 3rd - 0:22Dec 7 10:06 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Michael Ryder (8), at 15:56.
Devils 3, Rangers 2 3rd - 4:04Dec 7 9:59 PM
- Dan Girardi wrist shot on Martin Brodeur.
Devils 2, Rangers 2 3rd - 8:11Dec 7 9:48 PM
- Mark Fayne shot blocked by J.T. Miller.
Devils 1, Rangers 2 3rd - 14:13Dec 7 9:47 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Travis Zajac (5), at 5:58.
Devils 2, Rangers 2 3rd - 14:02Dec 7 9:37 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 1
NEW YORK: 2
End of 2nd
Dec 7 9:10 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Cam Janssen (3), from Tim Sestito and Martin Brodeur at 6:02.
Devils 1, Rangers 2 2nd - 13:58Dec 7 8:43 PM
- Cam Janssen tip-in shot on Henrik Lundqvist.
Devils 0, Rangers 2 2nd - 13:58Dec 7 8:41 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Cam Janssen (3), at 6:02.
Devils 1, Rangers 2 2nd - 13:58Dec 7 8:41 PM
- Ryan Callahan wrist shot is wide.
Devils 0, Rangers 2 2nd - 18:32Dec 7 8:34 PM
- Ryan Callahan slap shot on Martin Brodeur.
Devils 0, Rangers 1 2nd - 19:04Dec 7 8:33 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Mats Zuccarello (6), at :57.
Devils 0, Rangers 2 2nd - 19:03Dec 7 8:33 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
NEW YORK: 1
End of 1st
Dec 7 8:14 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Brad Richards, at 3:32.
Devils 0, Rangers 1 1st - 16:28Dec 7 7:45 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 7 7:39 PM
- US beats Czechs at worlds to set up semifinal with May 19
- Major League Baseball suspends Rangers' Odor for 8 games and Andrus for 1 game, and Blue Jays' Chavez and Gibbons for 3 each and Bautista, Leiper for 1 apiece for role in brawl May 17
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- New York Rangers sign KHL forward Pavel Bucknevich May 13
- Devils' Patrik Elias, Cory Schneider both undergo surgery May 12
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- Capitals are loose and confident and on brink of elimination May 6
- New York Rangers rookie Oscar Lindberg has hip surgery May 6
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Rangers agree to deal with backup goalie Antti Raanta May 2
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Winds of change coming to Rangers after early playoff exit Apr 26