Coyotes edge DevilsJan 19, 2014 - 5:43 AM
Jordan Szwarz and Jeff Halpern also scored, and Keith Yandle supplied two helpers in the Coyotes' second straight win after a four-game slump. Mike Smith made 32 saves in the victory.
New Jersey received a power-play marker from Ryane Clowe and Jaromir Jagr scored late in the third. Martin Brodeur allowed all three goals on 27 shots as the Devils dropped their second straight contest.
"You're either part of the problem or the solution. He's definitely helping us and becoming part of the solution," Devils coach peter DeBoer said.
Phoenix scored the lone goal of the middle period at 14:22 while on the man advantage. Brodeur made the initial save on a shot from Yandle, but Hanzal was there to backhand the rebound for his 14th of the season to make it 3-1 for the hosts.
Jagr whacked home Clowe's shot from the boards with less than three minutes remaining and Brodeur pulled to account for the final score. Jagr's marker was his 696th all-time, two ahead of rival Mark Messier for seventh in league history.
After the Coyotes dumped the puck into the New Jersey zone, Kyle Chipchura sent a quick pass to Szwarz in the slot, who opened the scoring with a wrister 2:35 into the first.
"It is a great night for me. Our line has been playing well recently. It was nice to get rewarded early and get a goal for our team," Szwarz said.
Jeff Halpern notched his second of the season with a wrister over the glove of Brodeur to make it 2-0 with just under seven minutes to go in the opening stanza.
The Devils got one back late in the first. Eric Gelinas fired a shot from the point and Clowe wristed a rebound over a sprawled Smith at the side of the net on the power play with 1:16 remaining.
Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett notched his 450th win as an NHL head coach and his 100th home victory for Phoenix ... The Coyotes improved to 12-7-4 this season in games when they score a power-play goal ... This was the first matchup between the two teams since October of 2011.
- NEW JERSEY: 2
Jan 18 10:33 PM
- New Jersey Goal at 17:46.
Devils 2, Coyotes 3 3rd - 2:14Jan 18 10:26 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 1
End of 2nd
Jan 18 9:38 PM
- Shane Doan slap shot is over the net.
Devils 1, Coyotes 3 2nd - 3:15Jan 18 9:36 PM
- Martin Hanzal tip-in shot on Martin Brodeur.
Devils 1, Coyotes 2 2nd - 5:39Jan 18 9:35 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Martin Hanzal, from Keith Yandle at 14:22.
Devils 1, Coyotes 3 2nd - 5:38Jan 18 9:32 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 1
End of 1st
Jan 18 8:47 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Ryane Clowe (2), from Eric Gelinas and Adam Henrique at 18:44.
Devils 1, Coyotes 2 1st - 1:16Jan 18 8:45 PM
- Reid Boucher shot blocked by Oliver Ekman-Larsson.
Devils 0, Coyotes 2 1st - 4:52Jan 18 8:37 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Jordan Szwarz (3), from Kyle Chipchura at 2:35.
Devils 0, Coyotes 1 1st - 17:25Jan 18 8:12 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 18 8:09 PM
- Coyotes, Tucson make it official: Moving AHL team to city May 19
- US beats Czechs at worlds to set up semifinal with May 19
- Tucson city council approves deal for Coyotes AHL affiliate May 17
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Devils' Patrik Elias, Cory Schneider both undergo surgery May 12
- AHL board approves sale, relocation of Coyotes' affililate May 10
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- Arizona's Chayka becomes youngest GM in NHL history May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- AP Source: Coyotes to promote 26-year-old Chayka to GM May 4
- Hockey sticks no longer one size fits all Apr 21
- Phoenix mayor wants shared arena for Suns, Coyotes Apr 19